wow....as of right now... i don't like it. it just off to me. and the thong bumper looks bad the more i look at it.

does the ion arm angled inward really make it easier for travel? it still sticks outward.

and the foam sits way too high. reminds me of 80% spirit packs on full size whose alice frames where the only chjoice is to have the pack sitting too high or too low.

is it the UK team that designed these?
One time liked this
Since the cyclothong is a new add-on, it makes sense that the paint job on it would be pretty bright, but at the same time I feel like it's a bit jarring compared to the rest of the parts of the pack that are older.

If they keep it for future iterations, I think it'd look a lot better when it's chipped and weathered, like this guy on youtube who did a yellow bumper on his haslab:

I get them wanting to shrink the depth of the ion arm a bit but I kind of wish there were greeblies or something a bit more than just an angled shroud from what looks like a CPU cooler on it.
Last edited by CaptainAssholay on November 9th, 2023, 1:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Haslab, toy manufacturers, and Spirit Halloween after the new equipment reveal:

Last edited by SpaceBallz on November 9th, 2023, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainAssholay, Rookie99, Kingpin and 2 others liked this
jonogunn wrote:wow....as of right now... i don't like it. it just off to me. and the thong bumper looks bad the more i look at it.

does the ion arm angled inward really make it easier for travel? it still sticks outward.

and the foam sits way too high. reminds me of 80% spirit packs on full size whose alice frames where the only chjoice is to have the pack sitting too high or too low.

is it the UK team that designed these?
I like them in the context of new modifications for a new enemy, if these were the permanent new designs I wouldn’t be too fond of them either, but it looks as if the old designs aren’t going anywhere, as you can see various shots of the original ones in use
jonogunn, Kingpin liked this
So I think all of those packs we in that PSVR promo are representing the same pack (they often make duplicates of a prop) and I think that is specifically Phoebes pack from afterlife only upgraded. There are way to many specific things on the new pack that are only on the phoebe pack that would have carried over. The gas mask hose, the heat synce, various cables and metal claps are all the same.

This is 100% Phoebe's pack.
It seems to me that from a costuming and world-building standpoint, these are very well done. The classic Proton Packs we've seen have always been bespoke, assembled and serviced by the designer and the engineer. These appear instead to be production models, with cleaner lines and seemingly less direct access to the working parts. Presumably this reflects the influence of Zeddemore Industries; I wouldn't be surprised if it's shown that Ray handles or oversees all maintenance for the whole business.
Looks like some kind of padded insulation, which would lend in hand the upgrades needed to battle a supernatural entity that thrives off of freezing temperatures.
ecto88mph wrote: November 9th, 2023, 2:04 pm This is 100% Phoebe's pack.
Winston is wearing it in the trailer though.

I think the Afterlife pack (and cyclotron inside) was designed by Kirsten Franson.

I think that was a work of true art and really paid homage to what the original '84 pack was meant to be.

I'd be very surprised if Franson had anything at all to do with this.
I think what we are seeing is a direct result of these [packs no longer being "unlicensed". I believe they are changes to comply with in-universe health & safety regulations. Extra bumper support. Yellow and chevron highlighting. Tidier cabling. Ion arm turned sideways so as less likely to snag. Shielding to the barrel of the neutrona wand etc. They all scream "safety".
SpaceBallz, The_Y33TER liked this
TBH, I'm not a fan of the cyclotron bumper "thong", or the placement of the ion arm.

I do like the striping on the side of the power cell, though.
Nope, not a fan of all of the newer addons to the pack. It looked busy before, and now it's just "too much". Keeping mine as-is.

And also, why is that proton pack (on the blonde woman) sitting so low on the frame? It should be higher up, at least 3 to 4 inches.
One time liked this
gamera1968 wrote: November 10th, 2023, 1:37 pm Nope, not a fan of all of the newer addons to the pack. It looked busy before, and now it's just "too much". Keeping mine as-is.

And also, why is that proton pack (on the blonde woman) sitting so low on the frame? It should be higher up, at least 3 to 4 inches.
Agreed, I don't care for the changes. I definitely won't be updating my pack to this new style.
gamera1968, One time liked this
hawkbatsquadron wrote: November 10th, 2023, 1:19 pm I have to wonder how it will feel to have the pack sitting low on the frame...
I can't imagine it would be very comfortable. With an external frame backpack, you want the heaviest items near the top for best balance and weight distribution. Even with an internal frame backpack, you want the heaviest items near the shoulder blades, so still relatively high.

That new proton pack setup has the weight way too low. The center of gravity and overall balance are going to be off.
gamera1968 liked this
Frankly I wish they did MORE to change/update the packs. I feel like the clippards should go or at least be replaced with new ones like this:
Especially with these ones they could have had wire leads coming out the top to go up to the ion arm proper. Instead of the janky solution Egon came up with that surrounds the base of the clippard. I was surprised to see them keep that cuz I interpreted that as some sort of crude repair Egon did, rather than some functional upgrade.

The yellow tri-bumper is a welcome addition in my opinion but some caution striping on the right hand side would have been cool. I definitely would have been interested in a more elaborate Ion arm. A more advanced power cell meter would have been cool? Like I dunno 3 lines of lights (different colors maybe, red yellow green?) going up and down at separate rates as if they're each tracking different but related values. Any sort of N-filter change would have been neat. They definitely could put like a square LCD screen on the wand in the place of the bar graph to show more information. I do like the fluted sorta machine gun style barrel on the wand too.

P.S. Gosh my head is really just spinning with more ideas. Wouldn't it be neat if they gave the wand an actual trigger now? Remove the box on the side with the activate switch and intensify button. Move the activate switch to the main body having a row of 3 switches more tightly together. And then you have a fairly gun-like trigger ring added to where your index would sit on the bottom of the rear grip.
Last edited by RonMan32 on November 10th, 2023, 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The wand barrel "cover" looks vaguely similar to one of the sentry cannons in afterlife with a lot more slats in it, though the barrel still has the pop mechanism for some reason which you now can't see due to the cover over the top of it.

Not a fan of the bumper or how low the pack sits on the frame, the ion arm placement also looks a very random and basically pointless change. When I first seen stills of the vid for a moment I thought they were modded haslab packs using the built in straps which would explain their low slung look, but not the case after seeing the video.
gamera1968, One time liked this
THawke wrote: November 10th, 2023, 2:15 pm
hawkbatsquadron wrote: November 10th, 2023, 1:19 pm I have to wonder how it will feel to have the pack sitting low on the frame...
I can't imagine it would be very comfortable. With an external frame backpack, you want the heaviest items near the top for best balance and weight distribution. Even with an internal frame backpack, you want the heaviest items near the shoulder blades, so still relatively high.

That new proton pack setup has the weight way too low. The center of gravity and overall balance are going to be off.
I don't think it's mounted too low, more so she's wearing it slung too low. The kidney belt is basically sitting half way down her a$$ for starters.

And looking closer, the bottom mount looks to be in line with the N- Filter. I think the added bottom bumper is adding to the effect of it being mounted lower.
Dr. Stantz Jr. wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:14 pm

I don't think it's mounted too low, more so she's wearing it slung too low. The kidney belt is basically sitting half way down her a$$ for starters.

And looking closer, the bottom mount looks to be in line with the N- Filter. I think the added bottom bumper is adding to the effect of it being mounted lower.
No, the pack is definitely too low on the frame. If you look at the first two movies, the bottom of the pack is much more in line with the bottom of the frame. Not quite even with it, but pretty close. These new packs look to be 4 to 6 inches too low.
jonogunn liked this
My guess is some of the changes were from a safety point of view.

The ion arm, extra padding, and sitting lower on the back, all seem like things to help with stunts, and general health and safety.

The original packs had to have padding added to the top so when you look up, you didn’t wack the back of your head. (Something I learned with my first pack.)

The ion arm would just be a hazard for any stunts and easily broken off.

And the sheer amount of padding behind the ALICE frame, just all seems like there were some safety concerns that were addressed.
Dr. Stantz Jr. wrote: November 10th, 2023, 4:14 pm

Looking at the pictures I posted for reference, my (Full sized Spirit Pack on an alice frame with full aluminum back) is mounted as we do now with the top of the pack sitting higher than the padding. (Warning label) would be visible. Hers sits in line with the top padding. Where would a warning label go?
ImageImageImage Here is a Haslab pack with just a frame added: Image
I'm leaning towards just running what I have now and call it a day. But I love how people already jumped on this in a day or so.
The red ski jackets were identified, sadly they cost $1500.00 :shock: LINK: RedParka
gerard55 liked this
Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]