This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By 910dohead
tobycj wrote: September 6th, 2023, 3:42 pm
I saw this thread and your name and got really excited there was going to be a build update! :lol:
I'm sorry. I wish there was an update but right now there's nothing to report on. Maybe when it cools down out here I can convince the others to finally knock it out and get it done?
tobycj liked this
By NotEnufPSI
Hi, I just came across this group and that’s an awesome build you have. I’m trying to help out a friend of mine that wants to make a smaller version of the containment unit in his office. I’ve been trying to find some 3D models to print for him to help out. Since I just registered I can’t send a private message, but was looking for some advice and possibly to be pointed in the right direction to find these. Thanks!
By prodestrian
910dohead wrote: February 29th, 2016, 8:52 am On a side note, we also discovered some more details regarding the trap box. Inside there are two rectangular brackets (one on each side) that are mounted from the outside through the lug terminals, which supports a small rod going from side to side. We discovered that the purpose of this rod is to hold the internal trap in place when the outer half is pulled away from the housing. There has also got to be an additional piece mounted on the bottom that guides the trap upward to lock into place. Notice how the inner part of the trap floats. We will be doing this exact same thing on our unit as well. So look forward to that, I guess?
I realise that I'm simultaneously hijacking someone else's (amazing) build thread and responding to a post from over 7 years ago, but I've been trying to figure out this part of the ECU and haven't seen anyone else attempting it. Maybe this will help if/when you revisit your build in the future, but in the meantime this thread is probably the closest thing we have to ECU reference material at the moment.

When I made a mockup of it and tried to eject a trap into it, I couldn't get the cartridge to stay in place while I removed the chassis, even when I lifted the rear of the trap upwards like Ray does in the film. Removing the chassis also pulls the cartridge with it, so I agree that it must be getting held in place by something. And then I watched the montage scene in the Preview Cut and noticed that Ray inserts the trap, ejects the cartridge, removes the chassis, and closes the door all in a single (blurry) alternate shot. And he definitely doesn't lift the trap, he keeps whole thing completely horizontal as he removes the trap chassis. And yet the cartridge somehow stays in place.

Tried to capture this here: https://imgur.com/a/iXFFMNp
(Didn't know how else to upload animated GIFs here).

To me, it really looks like the red side rods move as the trap is inserted. It's hard to see even when zoomed in, and maybe it's just a video artifact rather than something physically moving.

You can't see this movement in the final scene (even on the Blu-Ray) because the camera is too far away and at the wrong angle.

But it does also look like those red bars are at the same height as the angled blocks on either side of the trap bargraph. I don't think there's anything lifting the cartridge up, but maybe there's a small raised platform at the back which it ejects onto (to keep it at the same height instead of floating in mid-air), as well as locking rods higher up to hold it in place. I don't know how the metal brackets seen on the inside come into play here, maybe that's just what the locking rods are attached to.

Watch the Preview Cut clip a few times and the timing is almost spot-on, when Ray slides the release catch backwards on the handle, that's when the red bar seems to move. It's like the spring-ejection of the cartridge is enough to force it into the locking mechanism. I've uploaded a looping clip of this in the link above. What I don't fully understand is why the rod seems to slide inwards as the trap is being ejected, I would have thought it would move outwards then back in again.

So...maybe it's actually connected to a mechanism on the opposite side of the trap, which would mean that to release the empty trap cartridge (for removal) you'd press the red bar in (like a pushbutton) instead of trying to pull the bar out again. Maybe that red bar isn't ever touching the trap, it's something (of a different shape) on the other side.

So, perhaps that red bar sticking out of the side is actually something like this (but better designed, probably not a solid block of metal, and presumably with a light spring somewhere in there)?

The spring would have to be just weak enough to allow the cartridge to slide past it, but strong enough to hold it in place once it's there. I think that's achievable.

Or maybe this is completely the wrong path to be going down, and someone's already come up with a simpler approach. I just know that if we build our own ECU without some way to hold the cartridge in place like in the film, we're going to have at least one cartridge get dragged out with the chassis and smash onto the floor during an event :lol:
Nighty80, 910dohead, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By 910dohead
First, you're not hijacking this thread at all. The word discussion is in the title of this thread and it was always meant to welcome these sort of posts so I want to thank you for joining the discussion. Also, I see what you're saying and you make some good points. Personally, I have been trying to figure this whole debacle as to what's going on inside of the trap housing. We know that there are some weird brackets with posts (I guess you could say) that come out of the sides of the housing that play some sort of mechanical part in keeping the trap box in place. The interesting thing you mentioned is that those bracket posts move. While I am not really seeing it happening in the animated gif you provided, I want to take a look at that scene a little further on my blu-ray copy of the workprint. With some of the digging and researching that i've been doing, I have to say that you're probably right and if not, you're on the right track.

Let me go into sort of a summed up deep dive of some of the theories of the trap housing that I have been chasing down over the last couple of years (yeah, years...).

We're always looking for minute details that could paint a larger picture in the grand scheme of things and help reveal some of the mystery behind its function. With that said, some time ago I noticed a bracket on one of the traps that I thought might do just that. Here's what I mean...

Now, take a look at the yellow circles (pay no attention to the red ones yet. I will come back to those soon) and you'll see the bracket that I mean. At first notice I thought this may have been a "eureeka" moment that would've led me down a path of discovery. I went down that path and learned nothing significant other than it was put there to help keep the pedal wiring in place. Which was kind of a bummer but knowing that made me start to focus on having to look at the various screen used traps that there are pictures of. It made me realize that, just like the packs, there are more than one and served various purposes in the film. No two traps are alike.

While taking a look at the different traps and trying to discover some sort of hint, I forget who showed me a photo of a screen used trap (I am almost certain it was DemonViceCommander. I'd have to go back and look at conversations but I am doing this update on the fly) but they pointed out a rather odd detail. Anyways, here is the trap I am talking about.

Notice the weird detail? Well, I didn't at first so it was pointed out to me, but notice that weird screw that is randomly underneath the bargraph chamber? It's weird, right? We discussed it a little further and figured the screw either did one of two things; held something internal in place or it was stuck there to cover up a hole. Why would there be a hole there though?

Remember when everyone was trying to figure out if there was some sort of crazy contraption made up inside of the screen used pack throwers that controlled the pop mechanism for the trigger tube? Then when someone got to open up an actual screen used thrower to discover that all it took was a spring to control the feature? Well, this is kinda that same logic involving the hole in the trap. Sometimes you gotta try and put yourself in the shoes of whoever the prop maker was that built some of this stuff and ask yourself "If I am on a budget and time right now is my enemy, what is the cheapest and laziest way I can get this thing to do what it needs to do?". Thinking that way and coming up with the most simple solution, we figured that all it may have been is an internal bar or post that the trap lined itself up with and was inserted to simply hold the trap chamber in place. Here is a diagram I put together that will help better explain what I am saying.

This is one possibility but I don't think that it's the definitive solution. I still believe that it may be a little more complicated than that. My main focus though is on this trap. I still think it's trying to tell us something. Oh, but what's so special about this particular trap? It's the screen used one used in the containment unit scenes. Here it is matched up:

As you can see if you compare them that there are features that makes it the dead ringer for being screen used. Just a fun little fact. Now, going back and comparing the trap in those pre-production photos of ray, you can see in the red circles that some of the labels and features like the housing release button are missing.

So, that part of search can end for me. I am moving on from that trap and focusing on the screen used one. The screw is a mystery as to why its there? It could still tell a tale but that's sort of where it stops there.

Where I am at now sort of matches up with what you're saying with your reply. My theory is a little bit different. I also think there is some sort of ramp mounted to the bottom that covers that gap in space to hold the housing up. I think that's a given. With the moving posts, I think they are some sort of spring loaded latch. Here's another diagram I came up with.

In the diagram, you can see what I mean with the spring loaded latches. I think they might be cut to compliment the side of the trap. When the trap is pushed against them, they run along side the trap but then the second there is a space, the springs pop inward and traping the housing in place and hold it there. Hopefully you can see what I mean? Going back to lazy prop making, I think those outer parts of the spring latches are pulled outward which would release the trap housing from inside. I mean, we never see the trap housing ejected from the containment unit housing ever. If you take a look at the red square on the screen used trap, you can see some paint wear that could be where these spring latches ran across the trap? This detail is more prevalent on other screen used traps. I can't say if those traps were used in the containment unit or not, but this particular trap was used and there is the proof above.

When you say you see those posts moving, you're probably 100% correct. Could just be these latches popping the trap housing into place. In the picture from the 2016 post, I no longer think a bar runs from one side to the other. I think they're parallel with each other but that they are some sort of latch.

Finally, this is sort of random, but going down the rabbit hole I discovered the man responsible for building the containment unit and possibly some of the other props. His name was Chuck Gaspar.

I thought I posted this info once before here but I guess that I didn't. Well, this guy is your man. Unfortunately he passed away in 2009. This lines up with what Richard Edlund's people told me when I was talking to them sometime ago. They couldn't remember his name. He had a father who worked in the special effects industry so he was continuing that legacy but he also has a son who continues that lineage and also works in Hollywood's SFX industry. I thought about reaching out to the guy and seeing if he has some story to tell about his father or possibly having some sort of archival material, but I have not made any sort of attempt at that. What I particularly love about this photo so much is how the man used gaffer tape to secure his pack of smokes to himself. I mean, that's got to be the poster moment for prop making? Find the simplest solution possible. It works and it's brilliant!

Side note: Also, notice the radar dish antenna in the background from the Ecto-1. Probably his first draft at making that part (since it has that weird grove cut into it that wasn't in the final part).

Anyways, that's all I have to add to the post so far. Thanks for the reply and I am going to be looking at that workprint a little more closely and compare what I have to what you are proposing and see if something does that "eureeka" thing. lol
By Kingpin
G̶i̶v̶e̶n̶ w̶e̶ d̶o̶n̶'t̶ s̶e̶e̶ t̶h̶e̶ t̶r̶a̶p̶ b̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ p̶u̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ i̶n̶t̶o̶ t̶h̶e̶ T̶r̶a̶p̶ L̶o̶c̶k̶ i̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ c̶l̶o̶s̶e̶-̶u̶p̶ s̶h̶o̶t̶ (̶a̶t̶ l̶e̶a̶s̶t̶, I̶ d̶o̶n̶'t̶ r̶e̶c̶a̶l̶l̶ s̶e̶e̶i̶n̶g̶ t̶h̶a̶t̶ i̶n̶ t̶h̶e̶ W̶o̶r̶k̶ P̶r̶i̶n̶t̶)̶, I do wonder if there isn't actually any eleborate locking system... And that what happened with the props is that for the shot where Dan pulls the released trap casing away:

The prominent screw was unscrewed from the front indicator of the Trap prop, fed through a hole in a restraining strip of metal that spanned the width of the Trap Lock, and then screwed back into the Trap prop, holding the cartridge in place inside the Trap Lock.

Edit: updated to reflect newer post.
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
Kingpin wrote: December 31st, 2023, 9:40 am Given we don't see the trap being pushed into the Trap Lock in the close-up shot (at least, I don't recall seeing that in the Work Print), I do wonder if there isn't actually any eleborate locking system... And that what happened with the props is that for the shot where Dan pulls the released trap casing away:

The prominent screw was unscrewed from the front indicator of the Trap prop, fed through a hole in a restraining strip of metal that spanned the width of the Trap Lock, and then screwed back into the Trap prop, holding the cartridge in place inside the Trap Lock.
That's entirely possible and would be the most simplified solution to get the effect. However, two things; the workprint that shows a single continuous shot as well as the layout of the ECU itself.

While it's sort of chopped up in the final film, the shot we get of Dan loading the trap housing is a single and continuous shot in the workprint. So, it does snap into place and functions the same way its eluded to in the film.

Plus, to even get to that backside of the inside of the trap housing to simply screw that screw back in, it would either need to be made from a cutaway wall on the backside of the unit or the door would have to come completely off. That spot where the screw would have to go is a lot smaller and more tucked away than you think. I think the workprint shot kinda shoots that theory down completely but I do like that theory for its simplicity.

Man, I would also love to know what that damn white Caution sticker actually says. It's right there but we're all Mr. Magoo looking at it.
By prodestrian
Thanks for the reply, it's good to see we're mostly on the same page here!

I guess where I differ is that your mockup of the spring latches would show them moving out slightly as the trap pushes past them and then locking back in again. But it really looks like they move in the opposite direction, they get pulled inwards (maybe only by a few millimetres) and then pop back out once the trap is in place. I can't see any other way that this would happen except if they were latching on the opposite side of the trap, unless there's some kind of complicated lever mechanism on the inside.

Also, we haven't seen what's on the reverse side, so there's no way to know if there's a latch on both sides. Maybe there was, but that would mean removing an empty trap cartridge would be a two-person operation (one to push/pull both latches away from the trap, and another to actually reach in and lift it out). Ignoring in-universe behaviour, I doubt they'd want to require two people from the Props department having to run onto the set every time they needed to reset for another take. For our own ECU build I definitely need this to be as simple as possible and only require one person to remove a cartridge (we may only have a few people available at events and we can't call everyone back to help reset for the next demo). Push the button (red bar) with the right hand, lift the cartridge out with the left hand.

But if it's only latching on one side (on the left), will that be enough to hold the trap in place? Unfortunately I probably won't know until I try building a full scale prototype. For simplicity and time crunch reasons I'm probably going to 3D print a lot of the internals and see how it goes.

Definitely starting to lean towards having a ramp at the back now though, it might make the whole thing work a bit more smoothly...
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
prodestrian wrote: December 31st, 2023, 1:31 pm Also, we haven't seen what's on the reverse side, so there's no way to know if there's a latch on both sides.
I don't think we'll either get to see it or even need to see it? You can tell by the reference that the same thing is essentially going on with the other side. Plus, we've already figured out that the busbars appear to be identical to each other but the side we can't see has the busbar flipped and mounted in the opposite direction. Yeah, it would be cool to have pictures or some sort of better reference, but the proof is there already in the little reference that we do have. If better info comes along someday and it ends up being different, I would surmise that we wouldn't be too far off from what it actually looked like. If anyone wants to prove me wrong, oh I would welcome that so much. Show me the pictures! Lol.
prodestrian wrote: December 31st, 2023, 1:31 pm Unfortunately I probably won't know until I try building a full scale prototype. For simplicity and time crunch reasons I'm probably going to 3D print a lot of the internals and see how it goes.
That's usually how it goes. You gotta spend money to mock up a prototype and I think that's why this project has stalled for the time being. We want to know what we're going to build before we begin. Plus, we've already dumped so much money into this project over the last 9.95 years that we essentially only want to spend any more on it that'll go towards finishing it. No more R&D from us, lol. Anyways, when you do come up with something, let us know. I'd be really interested in seeing what you come up with.
Kingpin, prodestrian liked this
By Kingpin
910dohead wrote: December 31st, 2023, 10:28 amtwo things; the workprint that shows a single continuous shot as well as the layout of the ECU itself.
Damn! :)
In my defense, it's been the better part of 6-12 months since I last watched the work print, but it's good to have that animated gif here in the topic for analysis (including the fact that appears to be a different take from the one used in the final cut of the movie... Dan's movements seems slightly different, and the internal illumination of the Trap Lock appears to be turned off)

In light of that gif, I wonder if the cartridge had something like a door/cabinet catch on the end of the front indicator:

-Though obviously an '80s or '70s equivalent of those kinds of catches/latches.

Given the locking mechanism for the the Containment Unit door itself was a pair of ball catches, I feel it's a strong liklihood that the cartridge holding mechanism is something pretty simple: Something that allows for easy resets of the shot, can be easily removed/dismantled if it breaks... Or for when the production crew needed to install and remove the prop pieces from Fire Station №23's basement, and something that doesn't add a lot of extra unncessary weight to the prop.
By 910dohead
Kingpin wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:42 am Damn! :)
In my defense, it's been the better part of 6-12 months since I last watched the work print, but it's good to have that animated gif here in the topic for analysis (including the fact that appears to be a different take from the one used in the final cut of the movie...
No worries! I watched the workprint when the bluray was released and I received it. I haven't really watched it since, but even watching it for the first time, I didn't realize it was a continuous take until I saw the animated gif that prodestrian graciously created and shared. Yep, a different take as well as a slightly different angle.
Kingpin wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:42 am Dan's movements seems slightly different, and the internal illumination of the Trap Lock appears to be turned off)
I noticed that too. I am even wondering if the barely visible wiring that can be seen inside of the containment unit door frame might be what is powering that internal light?
Kingpin wrote: January 1st, 2024, 9:42 am Given the locking mechanism for the the Containment Unit door itself was a pair of ball catches, I feel it's a strong liklihood that the cartridge holding mechanism is something pretty simple: Something that allows for easy resets of the shot, can be easily removed/dismantled if it breaks... Or for when the production crew needed to install and remove the prop pieces from Fire Station №23's basement, and something that doesn't add a lot of extra unncessary weight to the prop.
This is pretty wild because I was visiting last night with Onlyalad19 and ZuulTheGatekeeper for New Years Eve. Onlyalad19 read the latest posts and it was bugging him in that he was trying to figure it out as well. The three of us had this exact conversation over a game of cards. His own words; "It's probably something that's over simplified. Like we're over thinking it. It's gotta be some sort of vintage latch or something? Like how the door is held into place with ball joints." I totally agree with him. I think the only thing I foresee about in 2024 is that I am about to become an expert in vintage latches. I am thinking it might be some sort of drawer latch or lock/release latch for smaller objects? I am going to start by going down the rabbit hole with this stuff. The cool thing is I have sort of a cheat sheet in that we can see some of the bracket piece, so I have an idea of what a part of it looks like. I am also now thinking that there isn't a small ramp inside of the trap housing. I think there is something that helps support the inner trap box, but it might just be a thin piece of aluminum that is simply mounted and positioned to the proper height of the bottom of the box. I mean, that makes more sense than a small ramp, right?

Also, I think it's still some sort of spring loaded pin latch. I think the ends of them come out of the sides of the exterior of the trap housing. There is something there. I even said to Onlyalad19 that whatever the mechanism is, it probably works like the catch on a doorknob. Something really simple. His eyes went sort of big in an 'oh shit' kinda moment, lol. Again, I think it works very similar to that but more of a pin latch. Originally I thought it was a bar that ran from one side to the next, but I no longer think that. Well, I am going to do some some research and hopefully some sort of vintage mechanism will ring bells when I stumble upon it. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. Either here or in a PM (which I haven't been able to access on here lately for some reason). I am mean I am still going down the rabbit hole but info is even more helpful.
Kingpin, prodestrian liked this
By Kingpin
910dohead wrote: January 1st, 2024, 2:53 pm I am also now thinking that there isn't a small ramp inside of the trap housing. I think there is something that helps support the inner trap box, but it might just be a thin piece of aluminum that is simply mounted and positioned to the proper height of the bottom of the box. I mean, that makes more sense than a small ramp, right?
Maybe something like that and/or a dowel/rail/runner that cradles the cartridge by nestling beneath the ears on each side of the front indicator?
By 910dohead
tobycj wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 3:11 am They used a bullet catch on the pedal, that was supposed to help hold it to the trap, so would potentially make sense that a simple mechanism like that was used too.
I thought about that. Especially after I was playing around with a screenshot messing with the brightness, etc.

It could be something like this being used.

I noticed this tiny little detail when I messed with the screenshot.

What I am trying to figure out is the bracket part. It serves some sort of purpose. Now if that were a bullet catch, it's mounted underneath the bracket where the orange tubing bolts attach to. I am also considering what Kingpin said about there being a dowel catch that nestles underneath the trap housing. I have an idea but I would need to draw it in photoshop. I am just wondering if the bracket part is one piece but runs along the backside of the housing and acts as a stop, brace or a catch?

So, what you're looking at here is sort of a simple spring loaded catch. The bar bracket runs along the back and acts as a brace and a stopper for the catch arms. When the trap is inserted, the catch arms lower and run underneath the trap and when the tabs find that small opening, the spring pushes the catch back up and locks the trap housing in place? I mean, if I added the bullet catch's to this drawing, they don't appear to serve an actual purpose unless they were really long.

The black arrow pointing down would be the bottom of a bracket. Spring tension would make the catch bar sit there. When trap is inserted, the catch bars lower and run underneath the ears of the trap housing. Catch bars end tabs having to be thin but when the gap is reached the spring tension releases and gets the bars to grab hold of the trap. The cool thing about this setup is it's easy but you could also potentially release the trap housing by simply lifting it up slightly over the catch bar tabs. Since they're already braced by the bracket/stop. Not something where you would have to reset it or anything once a trap is used.
tobycj, Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
I've been looking and I was surprised that it doesn't look like there any GB1 behind-the-scenes photos of the Containment Unit build were ever posted? I don't think Dane did it, was it Gaspar and co.? For the Afterlife reshoots, there was the one photo of the unit and the wall it was affixed to being transported. But we never did see it from the other side. Has anyone ever deduced what's behind the wall? I suppose there's a fair chance we could see in Frozen Empire.
By 910dohead
mrmichaelt wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 6:07 pm I've been looking and I was surprised that it doesn't look like there any GB1 behind-the-scenes photos of the Containment Unit build were ever posted? I don't think Dane did it, was it Gaspar and co.? For the Afterlife reshoots, there was the one photo of the unit and the wall it was affixed to being transported. But we never did see it from the other side. Has anyone ever deduced what's behind the wall? I suppose there's a fair chance we could see in Frozen Empire.
I haven't seen any behind the scenes stuff with it either besides the few photos that made it online. However, I have seen the actual Afterlife containment unit in person. When I saw it, it was at Ghost Corps at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, CA. I don't know if it's still there in their offices currently as I haven't been there in quite some time. What I can tell you is that I know for a fact the end credits ECU was a static prop. That version was only made for those end shots and even the door doesn't open so they didn't build any of the interior door mechanics/trap housing for that prop.

I even have an e-mail saved somewhere talking with Ghost Corps about it. At the time I was inquiring about trying to get access to view whatever reference materials they were using to re-create/build that prop. However, since the film hadn't released yet, they were all probably still under NDA's I assume? Well, that's why I was denied access but was told to check back at some point. I still haven't had the chance because I think the sequel was green lit almost immediately. I also don't want to be annoying or pestering. Also, please don't bother them either. They're too busy making new pew-pew ghost movie.

It is cool seeing that the ECU will be in the new movie. To what extent that it performs, I don't know? I am really trying hard this time to not spoil the movie for myself this time around ,so I am not deep diving into any spoilers. However, I did see that picture of it featured in that magazine. I just hope they don't add a banana tire boot to it or yellow busbars. This thread will be full of people complaining that our unit is missing those pieces.
mrmichaelt, tobycj liked this
By mrmichaelt
910dohead wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 8:06 pm I haven't seen any behind the scenes stuff with it either besides the few photos that made it online. However, I have seen the actual Afterlife containment unit in person. When I saw it, it was at Ghost Corps at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, CA. I don't know if it's still there in their offices currently as I haven't been there in quite some time. What I can tell you is that I know for a fact the end credits ECU was a static prop. That version was only made for those end shots and even the door doesn't open so they didn't build any of the interior door mechanics/trap housing for that prop.

I even have an e-mail saved somewhere talking with Ghost Corps about it. At the time I was inquiring about trying to get access to view whatever reference materials they were using to re-create/build that prop. However, since the film hadn't released yet, they were all probably still under NDA's I assume? Well, that's why I was denied access but was told to check back at some point. I still haven't had the chance because I think the sequel was green lit almost immediately. I also don't want to be annoying or pestering. Also, please don't bother them either. They're too busy making new pew-pew ghost movie.

It is cool seeing that the ECU will be in the new movie. To what extent that it performs, I don't know? I am really trying hard this time to not spoil the movie for myself this time around ,so I am not deep diving into any spoilers. However, I did see that picture of it featured in that magazine. I just hope they don't add a banana tire boot to it or yellow busbars. This thread will be full of people complaining that our unit is missing those pieces.
I've only seen the trailer shots and the Empire magazine still. I think we might at least get a peak what's behind the wall. But yeah IRL, I don't think there's another part of the prop behind there. The only bts bit I remember is from the first movie when it was going to blow in GB1, in the commentary, Ivan Reitman commented that was all practical with the lights, dust, and wind and even technicians stood behind the wall and shook the individual brick. But in-universe, I hope we get a glimpse at last of what the rest of the ECU looks like.
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
mrmichaelt wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 8:15 pm
910dohead wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 8:06 pm I haven't seen any behind the scenes stuff with it either besides the few photos that made it online. However, I have seen the actual Afterlife containment unit in person. When I saw it, it was at Ghost Corps at Sony Pictures Studios in Culver City, CA. I don't know if it's still there in their offices currently as I haven't been there in quite some time. What I can tell you is that I know for a fact the end credits ECU was a static prop. That version was only made for those end shots and even the door doesn't open so they didn't build any of the interior door mechanics/trap housing for that prop.

I've only seen the trailer shots and the Empire magazine still. I think we might at least get a peak what's behind the wall. But yeah IRL, I don't think there's another part of the prop behind there. The only bts bit I remember is from the first movie when it was going to blow in GB1, in the commentary, Ivan Reitman commented that was all practical with the lights, dust, and wind and even technicians stood behind the wall and shook the individual brick. But in-universe, I hope we get a glimpse at last of what the rest of the ECU looks like.
Here's a story that I don't think I have shared in here or not, but our group did an event once where Ivan Reitman was there. I already can't remember what event it was. I want to say the breakfast at FanFest but I am certain it wasn't that. I think this happened inside of the Sony cafeteria because I remember we were indoors. Anyways, Ivan came over to our table and visited with us for a bit. To make this short, I asked him about the containment unit and he said pretty much the same thing you said. He said Boss Films rigged it up with tubes that they sprayed air through the bricks and it was all very practical. I then asked him if he remembered what happened to the actual prop? Unfortunately, he said that he couldn't recall exactly what happened to it but then went on to say that if he were to guess that it was probably scrapped. I always had hopes he misremembered and that it's been hanging on the wall all this time over at Boss Films or in some prop warehouse. Not the best story but I always saw that unit as just as important as the Ecto-1. With that said, I too would hope we get a glimpse of the unknown ECU stuff in the new movie.
mrmichaelt liked this
By mrmichaelt
910dohead wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 10:26 pm Here's a story that I don't think I have shared in here or not, but our group did an event once where Ivan Reitman was there. I already can't remember what event it was. I want to say the breakfast at FanFest but I am certain it wasn't that. I think this happened inside of the Sony cafeteria because I remember we were indoors. Anyways, Ivan came over to our table and visited with us for a bit. To make this short, I asked him about the containment unit and he said pretty much the same thing you said. He said Boss Films rigged it up with tubes that they sprayed air through the bricks and it was all very practical. I then asked him if he remembered what happened to the actual prop? Unfortunately, he said that he couldn't recall exactly what happened to it but then went on to say that if he were to guess that it was probably scrapped. I always had hopes he misremembered and that it's been hanging on the wall all this time over at Boss Films or in some prop warehouse. Not the best story but I always saw that unit as just as important as the Ecto-1. With that said, I too would hope we get a glimpse of the unknown ECU stuff in the new movie.
That's sounds right. I know somewhere like a commentary or maybe Fan Fest, Reitman or Medjuck admitted at the time in 1983-1984, they weren't thinking in terms of archiving material for future reference and such so a majority of sets and props being simply tossed like the ECU is unfortunately a possibility. You can only hope someone at Boss Films jumped into that dumpster to save it for posterity because he or she built it and keeps it in the garage or some movie nut hung out and pillaged the dumpster. I wonder if anyone like John Bruno remembers the original ECU's fate. For all we know it could be in the material the Buenos cut from Cleanin' Up the Town to get the run time down. I'd have to relisten to that commentary and rewatch Cleanin' up the Town. It's kind of weird the ECU prop is hardly talked about. Just the mechanism alone that you guys are discussing right now, I always loved the details and workmanship. Too bad it had so little screen time. Of course for practical and budgetary reasons, they only had to build what we see in the movie. I got to imagine in-universe, the front face of the unit connects to bigger base that at maximum could take up the space of that area blocked off by the brick wall in relation to the property line of the firehouse and dimensions of that basement. Then again, in a short span of 1-2 months, Egon was concerned about running out of space. So then in GB2, I always wondered for decades if they went big like RGB (and later TVG, 88MPH, IDW, and others) went and lo and behold the exact front base showed up in Afterlife. I got get Troy Benjamin's book out and remind myself of what he wrote on it (edit: nope).
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
mrmichaelt wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 10:54 pm I wonder if anyone like John Bruno remembers the original ECU's fate. For all we know it could be in the material the Buenos cut from Cleanin' Up the Town to get the run time down. I'd have to relisten to that commentary and rewatch Cleanin' up the Town. It's kind of weird the ECU prop is hardly talked about. Just the mechanism alone that you guys are discussing right now, I always loved the details and workmanship. Too bad it had so little screen time. Of course for practical and budgetary reasons, they only had to build what we see in the movie.
I doubt it. Our containment unit is the one used at the beginning and ending of Cleanin' Up the Town. We're all credited in the film. Heck, there's even a picture of us in the credits. This was pretty early on and we didn't even have the door for it yet. We rigged one up last minute. It was mostly animated over. Anyways, yer darn tootin' I asked Anthony if he had BTS of the ECU. Unfortunately they hadn't come across anything at that point in their production.

They did show us 15 minutes of footage from their film while we were there and it surprising was mostly BTS of Ghostbusters 2. The footage was of prop guys mixing up the hundreds of gallons of slime and covering the actors in it. There were outtakes of the scene where Hudson, Aykroyd and Ramis were coming out of the sewer manhole. They'de yell cut and then covered in more slime for another take. Obviously, all of that footage was deleted from their film as they decided to focus on the first movie. Pretty neat stuff, but pretty sure that stuff will show up in the GB2 follow up I believe they're still working on? However, none of it had anything related to the containment unit.
mrmichaelt, tobycj liked this
By mrmichaelt
910dohead wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 11:18 pm I doubt it. Our containment unit is the one used at the beginning and ending of Cleanin' Up the Town. We're all credited in the film. Heck, there's even a picture of us in the credits. This was pretty early on and we didn't even have the door for it yet. We rigged one up last minute. It was mostly animated over. Anyways, yer darn tootin' I asked Anthony if he had BTS of the ECU. Unfortunately they hadn't come across anything at that point in their production.
Cheers for helping them out on Cleanin' Up the Town. Dah, bummer. Man, someone's gotta know.

910dohead wrote: January 3rd, 2024, 11:18 pm They did show us 15 minutes of footage from their film while we were there and it surprising was mostly BTS of Ghostbusters 2. The footage was of prop guys mixing up the hundreds of gallons of slime and covering the actors in it. There were outtakes of the scene where Hudson, Aykroyd and Ramis were coming out of the sewer manhole. They'de yell cut and then covered in more slime for another take. Obviously, all of that footage was deleted from their film as they decided to focus on the first movie. Pretty neat stuff, but pretty sure that stuff will show up in the GB2 follow up I believe they're still working on? However, none of it had anything related to the containment unit.
Yes, they're still working on Too Hot To Handle but have gone social media silent about it so we just poke derek osborne here from time to time. Yeah, that manhole scene they did something like 12 takes total lol.
910dohead liked this
By KGC
Guys I followed and read the whole discussion, beautiful and super interesting, I wanted to ask you where I could find the plans and measurements to be able to create it too with our Italian group, I didn't find anything in the discussion. If there are 3D files that can be printed even better! A thousand thanks!
By 910dohead
KGC wrote:Guys I followed and read the whole discussion, beautiful and super interesting, I wanted to ask you where I could find the plans and measurements to be able to create it too with our Italian group, I didn't find anything in the discussion. If there are 3D files that can be printed even better! A thousand thanks!
I don't think you read through this whole thread discussion. Had you done so, you would have read and discovered that we've stated that we aren't handing over the work we put into this until we're completely finished with the prop. It's been stated multiple times in the various posts over the years. I've had a lot of private dm's over the past few months asking for our plans and I was just about to have accommodated those requests. However, I told every single one of those requests that I had to update our plans when I had the time. Well, I haven't had the chance yet to physically pull the prop out and make those updates. Since I now read these requests as insults, we're now back to sticking to our original promise. We'll post our plans when we're finished and ready. I know 10 years is a long time to wait so far, but you're asking for a handout and not valuing the time, effort and energy we spent countless hours doing the work on and figuring out for ourselves. If you don't have the patience and want to wait for us, then you're more than welcome to follow in our footsteps by doing the legwork yourselves. You'll get your handout someday. That's our promise but you're gonna have to wait. Sorry.

I agree that 3D files would be better! When you're done making them, please send us a copy. Thanks!
By KGC
I am very sorry to have created such a situation just by asking if the plans were available.
I knew you were updating and I believed you had finished and released the updated projects.
It was not my intention to insult anyone, I can only thank you for the work you are doing and if one day you intend to share this project of yours, I can only be grateful. B
ut I repeat, it was not my intention to insult anyone with my request, I only asked in case I missed something while reading.
Thank you
By 910dohead
KGC wrote: January 8th, 2024, 2:08 am I am very sorry to have created such a situation just by asking if the plans were available.
I knew you were updating and I believed you had finished and released the updated projects.
It was not my intention to insult anyone, I can only thank you for the work you are doing and if one day you intend to share this project of yours, I can only be grateful. But I repeat, it was not my intention to insult anyone with my request, I only asked in case I missed something while reading.
Thank you
You're fine. I am just tired of the requests to the point where we won't be releasing anything before we're ready. My reply wasn't aimed at you directly (except the last line) but to all the requests I have received lately. A month or so ago a guy on Facebook demanded I give him our plans and made the assumption that we were hoarding information/being selfish. Yeah, maybe to an extent but the funniest part about that is most of the information is already in this thread. Anyone can look at our photos and see something in the background they can use for scale and discover our dimensions. Some people have already gone and done just that. Besides being tight lipped on a few part names and some NSN numbers, it's already all here.

Let me put it this way, you see someone baking a cake that they plan to serve a slice to everyone. They decide to go above and beyond in its creation as to make it a real nice treat. Very tasty and delicious with pieces of fruit, cream filing and delicately adorned with ornate icing to also make it a little extra special. However, before any of that icing could ever be applied, a bunch of hands come out of nowhere and all start grabbing for a handful so that they could get theirs. "Nice cake!" Baker is left with nothing but a plate of smashed cake crumbs, asking themself "Why go through all that trouble?" You get what I am saying?

I'm just sick of agreeing to do things for other people who just want theirs and wouldn't/couldn't return the favor if asked. Yours was "the icing on the cake" in that it was the laziest of them all. You went straight for the gimme and took it a step further by saying 3D files would be even better. Amazing!
prodestrian liked this
I've created some 3D files. I won't be sharing them, because they're not accurate and they're custom designed for the parts I already had laying around, so it wouldn't benefit anyone. But realistically they weren't anything which actually needed to be 3D printed, the vast majority of an ECU should probably NOT be 3D printed. There's already files available for a pretty accurate handle, but aside from that you can build the rest of it using old fashioned woodworking. Or foam, if that's more your preference. Maybe even laser cutting if you have access to one (you'll have to draw up the vector files yourself).

This thread has been a godsend for our ECU build, it's super helpful to see how it should be done "correctly", and then it means we can be confident if/when we have to compromise on accuracy for one reason or another (such as buying and modifying cheap caged wall sconces because the genuine article cost a fortune).

If I do 3D model some of the detail pieces I'll post them on Printables if I think they're going to be useful for other builds, but sometimes 10 minutes of woodworking is more efficient than an hour of CAD modelling followed by potentially hours of 3D printing, sanding, filling, sanding, priming, and painting (I left out some steps, such as more sanding :lol:)
910dohead liked this
By 910dohead
prodestrian wrote: January 8th, 2024, 6:07 pm This thread has been a godsend for our ECU build, it's super helpful to see how it should be done "correctly", and then it means we can be confident if/when we have to compromise on accuracy for one reason or another (such as buying and modifying cheap caged wall sconces because the genuine article cost a fortune).
Thanks for the kind words. THIS! I've always been particularly staunch about my props being as accurate as they possible could be. But I also view that as me being somewhat extreme comparing them to most other people's builds. People like to alter and customize this stuff to fit their liking. That's totally okay in my book but there is always going to be some people out there that are quick to point out your props inaccuracies. I think that sucks. There's nothing wrong with altering something to fit within your means, skill-set, budget or personal preferences. Even if your 3D files aren't accurate to this project, they would probably be worthwhile to others. Even if I dropped our plans for this project later today (I'm not; this is only hypothetical) and someone were to use them to build an ECU tomorrow, it's probably not going to follow our plans perfectly. I think that's just the nature of prop building. Plus, the ECU is BIG and that might not be ideal for most people. I mean I haven't seen your files, but they might accommodate someone better who's looking for a truncated/custom result (if that is applicable?). Also, you have the right to choose to share those files if you want to or not.

I did reach out to KGC in private after my in thread reply to apologize to him for my minor blow-up. Dude was totally understandable to my frustration and there's no bad blood. I didn't mean to make him an example of the requests i've been getting lately and just wanted to clear the air that it wasn't specifically him. I've just had a personal rough go of things lately. We do appreciate the requests and all of the interest but that favor is too much to ask from us at this time. It's just best to wait for us to do it right and not rush those plans. We've gotta be careful too. We can release plans, but then make a big change and someone who went and bought $50 of now unusable lumber gets mad at us. It happened with the ham radio thingies. Turns out they were Thyristors and someone got mad at us because they went out and bought the wrong parts. I'm sorry but now you've got to experience some of our hardships with this project. Anyways, just saying...
prodestrian, tobycj liked this
Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]