Discuss the upcoming 4th movie, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire to be released in March 2024.
Happy holidays everyone. Only a few more months until the next GB movie is released. Originally we were suppose to be getting the movie in theatres already. But fate intervened and now we are getting a March release. So..

What do we think Frozen Empire will make at the box office? Will it be more or less successful than Afterlife?

As things stand at this moment? My guess is that it will make less.

Opening weekend: 35-38 million

Domestic Gross 95-110 million

Worldwide: 190-225 million

I’m guessing the movie will get a 55-65% Rotten Tomatoes score.

How about you?
I'm sure the movie will be huge, given the way Jason and co are handling the franchise. Bringing back the OGs for more than just a cameo and bringing it back to New York was a good move.

I can't say I trust Rotten Tomatoes though. I don't think they're metrics are on the up and up.
I'm looking at numbers for everything lately and I don't think it's going to be as big as we think but will possibly be bigger than like, well anything Marvel has put out recently because it's not superheroes or Space Wars Adventure Religion, the movies that are out that have grossed anything have been out way longer than I'd ever expect any movie to be out, too, look at Oppenheimer, the box office wasn't doing well so they threw it back in to theaters again.

I feel like they should be doing these as streaming series, they could still have big movies, but Afterlife really could have used another 30 minutes to an hour of story that would have allowed them to spend entire episodes on the Spenglers, the PKE, the pack, etc, and not feel like the story was being rushed along, but I understand they needed to get something out there to see if enough people would even bite.

They have maybe one more movie after this, I'm betting they leave it open ended for #5 to happen, and then they're going to burn us out if they don't take an extended break, give us The Real Ghostbusters, or start streaming a live action series that covers franchises.
jle2199 wrote: February 25th, 2024, 11:37 am I'm looking at numbers for everything lately and I don't think it's going to be as big as we think but will possibly be bigger than like, well anything Marvel has put out recently because it's not superheroes or Space Wars Adventure Religion, the movies that are out that have grossed anything have been out way longer than I'd ever expect any movie to be out, too, look at Oppenheimer, the box office wasn't doing well so they threw it back in to theaters again.

I feel like they should be doing these as streaming series, they could still have big movies, but Afterlife really could have used another 30 minutes to an hour of story that would have allowed them to spend entire episodes on the Spenglers, the PKE, the pack, etc, and not feel like the story was being rushed along, but I understand they needed to get something out there to see if enough people would even bite.

They have maybe one more movie after this, I'm betting they leave it open ended for #5 to happen, and then they're going to burn us out if they don't take an extended break, give us The Real Ghostbusters, or start streaming a live action series that covers franchises.
Things aren’t looking good.

It didn’t have to be this way but you reap what you sow. Luckily Afterlife was relatively low budget so the iffy box office wasn’t as big of deal. We haven’t heard any budget numbers for this movie yet.

Also. You really think Afterlife needed to be 2.5-3 hours long? The first two movies don’t even clock in at an 1 hour 50 minutes.
jle2199 liked this
I couldn't hazard a guess at the box office--while GB remains generally known in the greater culture (I work with normies at Starbucks, so I get a decent barometer), it isn't universally known in the greater consciousness, if you take my meaning. Everyone is familiar with the concept because of the theme song permeating the generations, but I don't know how much its translated to new generations actually seeking the series out to watch. Afterlife didn't light the box office on fire, but there had been a pandemic. Box office grosses, in general, even for superhero movies (which GB:FE basically is), are down--but grosses are a better indicator of general audience interest than online talk, so we'll have to see.

In terms of the critical reception? I expect it to be low--critics and a growing number of geeks alike are turning venomous toward franchise movies, especially anything that has a legacy attached to it. There's been consistent complaints about blockbusters for the last decade or so now, but it's started to reach a fever pitch, from what I can see. GB has a few anchors weighing it down--some people bashed Afterlife as revenge for the reception to the reboot (so that attitude is already set in those folks), some people hate all sequels, simply because they're not new, original movies. And now you have the newest (and starting to be the loudest) crowd online--those who are angry at GB:FE for "missing the point" of the original by making it into a superhero franchise.

Never mind the fact that GB was basically always a superhero franchise to begin with, and that they leaned into it as soon as the cartoon show came out--it's more convenient (and righteously indignant) to ignore that context and decide that the original movie was "purely" a comedy--those with this argument often pick movies like Caddyshack or Austin Powers as a comparison, despite the fact that GB was never one of those types of comedies.

Now, online discourse doesn't always reflect box office success (if it did, so many of Michael Bay's Transformers movies wouldn't have grossed over a billion dollars), so I don't expect it to affect GB:FE too much--the box office gross is going to be a wildcard, because I know how it's going to go, critically--unless it's honestly SO good that it converts the people who already have their agendas set.
DocLathropBrown wrote: February 26th, 2024, 8:08 am I couldn't hazard a guess at the box office--while GB remains generally known in the greater culture (I work with normies at Starbucks, so I get a decent barometer), it isn't universally known in the greater consciousness, if you take my meaning. Everyone is familiar with the concept because of the theme song permeating the generations, but I don't know how much its translated to new generations actually seeking the series out to watch. Afterlife didn't light the box office on fire, but there had been a pandemic. Box office grosses, in general, even for superhero movies (which GB:FE basically is), are down--but grosses are a better indicator of general audience interest than online talk, so we'll have to see.

In terms of the critical reception? I expect it to be low--critics and a growing number of geeks alike are turning venomous toward franchise movies, especially anything that has a legacy attached to it. There's been consistent complaints about blockbusters for the last decade or so now, but it's started to reach a fever pitch, from what I can see. GB has a few anchors weighing it down--some people bashed Afterlife as revenge for the reception to the reboot (so that attitude is already set in those folks), some people hate all sequels, simply because they're not new, original movies. And now you have the newest (and starting to be the loudest) crowd online--those who are angry at GB:FE for "missing the point" of the original by making it into a superhero franchise.

Never mind the fact that GB was basically always a superhero franchise to begin with, and that they leaned into it as soon as the cartoon show came out--it's more convenient (and righteously indignant) to ignore that context and decide that the original movie was "purely" a comedy--those with this argument often pick movies like Caddyshack or Austin Powers as a comparison, despite the fact that GB was never one of those types of comedies.

Now, online discourse doesn't always reflect box office success (if it did, so many of Michael Bay's Transformers movies wouldn't have grossed over a billion dollars), so I don't expect it to affect GB:FE too much--the box office gross is going to be a wildcard, because I know how it's going to go, critically--unless it's honestly SO good that it converts the people who already have their agendas set.
There’s a lot of truth here.

Unless this movie is insanely good, it’s getting low score. I’d guess 40-55. Critics will dislike it most likely.

We’ll see variations of “Its time to put this franchise on ice” “They should bust the ghost of this franchise” “Consider this franchise busted” etc

Things would be so different had they released an actual sequel circa 2008-2013. That’s when they could’ve done something huge. But GB2016 popped that balloon of anticipation. And they did it with a movie practically no one asked for. Obviously some fans liked it but that was the crosswords of this franchise going forward.

That’s why I the reboot use to annoy me so much. I know what it cost this franchise. Some disagree but I know when I look at some other franchises somewhat comparable to Ghostbusters, that promised sequel decades in the making? Indy 4? Top Gun 2? Ghostbusters 3 wouldve been right there with them. I know it in my bones. Maybe it wouldn’t have done Top Gun 2 numbers but it would been a damn sight better than what we got, numbers wise.
RichardLess wrote: February 26th, 2024, 12:16 am Also. You really think Afterlife needed to be 2.5-3 hours long? The first two movies don’t even clock in at an 1 hour 50 minutes.
I feel like there were some scenes that could have been longer, and a series would have allowed them to go deeper into the discovery of the equipment, give the pack and trap an episode, end that episode with the kids chasing Muncher and getting in the car, have the next episode showing the car being repaired and then meeting up with the kids with the pack and chasing down Muncher again and dropping the RTV, you know? I get that they suddenly knew how to use everything in the first movies, but they were building it, not finding it in a basement.

I just feel they could have given it a little more body given the delays.
RichardLess wrote: February 26th, 2024, 8:37 pm That’s why I the reboot use to annoy me so much. I know what it cost this franchise. Some disagree but I know when I look at some other franchises somewhat comparable to Ghostbusters, that promised sequel decades in the making? Indy 4? Top Gun 2? Ghostbusters 3 wouldve been right there with them. I know it in my bones. Maybe it wouldn’t have done Top Gun 2 numbers but it would been a damn sight better than what we got, numbers wise.
Top Gun 2 was just A New Hope. Prove me wrong.

As for ATC... Wasn't it supposed to be something completely different? I hear rumors that it was actually supposed to be GB3, but we weren't supposed to see how it was connected until the end?
I encourage that any discussion into the finer points about Ghostbusters: Answer the Call be conducted in the Ghostbusters: Answer the Call (2016) subforum... This topic is to discuss the guesses at the box office/Rotten Tomatoes score for Frozen Empire.

I predict Frozen Empire will make at least $1 at the box office, and receive ratings on the Tomatometer and the Audience Score. Image
jle2199 liked this
Moving RichardLess and I's discussion from the general Frozen Empire thread to here in order to avoid clogging up the other one.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amAnd the cast’s lack of blockbuster roles doesn’t matter a single bit. i see it different. To me that is not how this works. Please let’s just think about the logic of it for a minute. People don’t say to themselves “Oh look! A new ghostbusters movie is coming out. It’s too bad Bill Murray hasn’t had a hit movie in awhile”.
I mean, that's not something I said, so, sure, I don't think that's what people would think. It's more like, "Man, Bill Murray's been making a lot of bad movies recently, and now he's running back to Ghostbusters to make a few extra bucks. The second one wasn't very good either, so I don't know..." Or, "Man, Dan Aykroyd just made a bad sequel to The Blues Brothers and now he wants to do Ghostbusters. Not getting my hopes up..."

In the end, the specific instinct I'm talking about is pretty minute and very subjective. It's simply that little switch in a person's mind between "I don't want to see that" or "I don't know if I want to see that" to "I'm willing to see that" or "I want to see that," and I think with sequels, there should also be some subconscious layer of "I was already expecting there to be more of these." I think that last part is pretty essential, and I just don't buy that general audiences, who in the early internet days, had probably not heard more than a few words about a Ghostbusters 3 for years, were sitting around going, "Well, where is it?" I was obviously as much of a fan then as I am now, and even I struggled to find, say, a passing referencing to Murray wanting to come back as a ghost in an issue of Wizard Magazine, and I just can't imagine the people who only go to the movies 5 times a year were seeing even that. Without that, I don't see where this big anticipation is coming from, because the series simply appears to be over. I believe you could have created a certain amount of hype for it simply by announcing it was happening between, say, 1999 and 2012, but I definitely see that hype being tempered by the quality of Ghostbusters II (even in a place like this there would've been people saying, "yeah, but Ghostbusters II...") and the cast's age and track record in recent years.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amI think the issue here is you are thinking Ghostbusters 2 is way more important than it is in anyone’s decision making. It was 1989. Again, prior to 2016, the majority of people’s association with Ghostbusters would be: The movie, the song or the cartoon. GB2’s biggest sin is probably how forgettable it was.
Like I said, I think even in a fan community like this there would be lots of people arguing that Ghostbusters II was lesser than the original and that Ghostbusters 3 could be lesser than that. I know lots of people in the fan community love the sequel, but I find it odd that you don't think that could possibly have been widely viewed as a strike against a third. It certainly was for many of the key folks involved in making it, who would often preface comments about a third one being developed with some variation on, "I don't think the second one was up to snuff."

I also think you're overestimating the cartoon. I think of the movie as being aimed at an "SNL" audience of young and middle-aged adults, and while it was obviously an unexpected success with younger audiences, I still think most people who liked it were already too old for the kid-aimed cartoon, which certainly has a nostalgia factor, but mostly for people of a certain age.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amAs for Harrison Ford, Dial of Destiny would like a word with you. That movie tanked. Why? They popped the balloon with KOTC in 2008.
I also did not make any sort of case that Dial of Destiny was unaffected by Crystal Skull. That's essentially my reasoning as to why a negative stink of something like a Ghostbusters II would stick around through to a Ghostbusters 3, even though they are not perfect parallels for various reasons. It's like they say, when people have a bad experience with something, they're more likely to tell someone else about it than if they had a good one, and thus, even though 15 years passed between the two movies, people still had that skepticism that a new Indiana Jones could be as good as they wanted, and I see no reason that would not have held true with Ghostbusters II.
Kingpin liked this
tylergfoster wrote: March 1st, 2024, 10:35 am Moving RichardLess and I's discussion from the general Frozen Empire thread to here in order to avoid clogging up the other one.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amAnd the cast’s lack of blockbuster roles doesn’t matter a single bit. i see it different. To me that is not how this works. Please let’s just think about the logic of it for a minute. People don’t say to themselves “Oh look! A new ghostbusters movie is coming out. It’s too bad Bill Murray hasn’t had a hit movie in awhile”.
I mean, that's not something I said, so, sure, I don't think that's what people would think. It's more like, "Man, Bill Murray's been making a lot of bad movies recently, and now he's running back to Ghostbusters to make a few extra bucks. The second one wasn't very good either, so I don't know..." Or, "Man, Dan Aykroyd just made a bad sequel to The Blues Brothers and now he wants to do Ghostbusters. Not getting my hopes up..."

In the end, the specific instinct I'm talking about is pretty minute and very subjective. It's simply that little switch in a person's mind between "I don't want to see that" or "I don't know if I want to see that" to "I'm willing to see that" or "I want to see that," and I think with sequels, there should also be some subconscious layer of "I was already expecting there to be more of these." I think that last part is pretty essential, and I just don't buy that general audiences, who in the early internet days, had probably not heard more than a few words about a Ghostbusters 3 for years, were sitting around going, "Well, where is it?" I was obviously as much of a fan then as I am now, and even I struggled to find, say, a passing referencing to Murray wanting to come back as a ghost in an issue of Wizard Magazine, and I just can't imagine the people who only go to the movies 5 times a year were seeing even that. Without that, I don't see where this big anticipation is coming from, because the series simply appears to be over. I believe you could have created a certain amount of hype for it simply by announcing it was happening between, say, 1999 and 2012, but I definitely see that hype being tempered by the quality of Ghostbusters II (even in a place like this there would've been people saying, "yeah, but Ghostbusters II...") and the cast's age and track record in recent years.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amI think the issue here is you are thinking Ghostbusters 2 is way more important than it is in anyone’s decision making. It was 1989. Again, prior to 2016, the majority of people’s association with Ghostbusters would be: The movie, the song or the cartoon. GB2’s biggest sin is probably how forgettable it was.
Like I said, I think even in a fan community like this there would be lots of people arguing that Ghostbusters II was lesser than the original and that Ghostbusters 3 could be lesser than that. I know lots of people in the fan community love the sequel, but I find it odd that you don't think that could possibly have been widely viewed as a strike against a third. It certainly was for many of the key folks involved in making it, who would often preface comments about a third one being developed with some variation on, "I don't think the second one was up to snuff."

I also think you're overestimating the cartoon. I think of the movie as being aimed at an "SNL" audience of young and middle-aged adults, and while it was obviously an unexpected success with younger audiences, I still think most people who liked it were already too old for the kid-aimed cartoon, which certainly has a nostalgia factor, but mostly for people of a certain age.
RichardLess wrote: March 1st, 2024, 1:08 amAs for Harrison Ford, Dial of Destiny would like a word with you. That movie tanked. Why? They popped the balloon with KOTC in 2008.
I also did not make any sort of case that Dial of Destiny was unaffected by Crystal Skull. That's essentially my reasoning as to why a negative stink of something like a Ghostbusters II would stick around through to a Ghostbusters 3, even though they are not perfect parallels for various reasons. It's like they say, when people have a bad experience with something, they're more likely to tell someone else about it than if they had a good one, and thus, even though 15 years passed between the two movies, people still had that skepticism that a new Indiana Jones could be as good as they wanted, and I see no reason that would not have held true with Ghostbusters II.
I’m so glad you brought up why that wouldn’t be the case with Ghostbusters 2.

See Ghostbusters 2 came out in the pre internet days. This is part of the reason Answer the Call destroyed the box office feasibility.

The internet era, meme culture, Nuke The Fridge. Remember that? Of course you do. Everyone does. That shit stays in the cultural zeitgeist. South Park made an episode about how bad Indy 4 was(which I actually kind of enjoy. I love the opening 45 minutes of that movie). So the association isn’t remotely the same as far as affect as on sequel on another.

You think I am overestimating the cartoon. I think you are overestimating the overestimation of my cartoon estimation.

I didn’t say it was incredibly important. I said that the association you would get in a room full of people would be 1 of three things. The song, the first movie or the cartoon. I said it was part of a franchise.

And I don’t know how old u are. But Real Ghostbusters was a huge show. The number 1 toy of the ‘87/‘88 season was the blue proton pack. Stores couldn’t keep them in shelves. Those toys SOLD. So for a lot of kids, just like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turrles and Transformers, they were a large part of their childhood. Ghostbusters was an active cultural phenomenon until about 1990-1991.

I brought up Dial of Destiny because you mentioned how Harrison Ford was somehow different and to highlight that when you pop that bubble, you get…that.

Interesting, see what you did there? Did you catch it? Okay. I think this is super interesting.

You said even the fan community views the 2nd film as a “lesser” film. I 1000% agree with you. A lesser film. Most fans and non fans alike would agree on that.

You want to know an interesting fact? I’m sure you’ve heard of “Cinemascore” right? For those that don’t know who might be reading this it’s like a political poll only for movies. Audiences are asked to rate a movie on a scale of F-A+

Ghostbusters 2 got an A-. That’s a very good score.

So a lesser film? Yes. A meh film? Yes. A bad film? No.

Bill Murray has changed his tune over the years about GB2 but Ivan Reitman was proud of it, Danny was proud of it, and Harold had mixed things to say.
I didn’t say it was something you said I’m saying that’s the internal faulty logic of your assumption on how an audience member selects a movie.

Bill Murrays been making a lot of bad movies lately? Yes, actors make bad movies. If that’s how people decided their movie watching no actor would go thru a dry spells and then have a hit. You are also confusing “bad” with “did not make much money”. Murray was nominated for an Oscar in 2004. He became Wes Anderson’s muse. He was the best part of Zombieland and he’s a beloved cultural icon. He had a documentary made just from the legendary stories that circulate about him. Murray wasn’t making bad movies. Beyond Garfield and City of Ember He was making different movies that didn’t have 4 quadrant mass appeal. That’s an important distinction.

There was lots of hype about Ghostbusters 3. It was all over AICN, IGN, Countingdone and TV newsmagazines. Murray not talking about it doesn’t surprise me because Murray didn’t want to do it and dropped the amount of press he did post Space Jam/That Elephant movie.

If Hype is making the news then anyone who waited for a GB3 can attest to how often it was talked about. Why it didnt show up in your magazine about Wizards, I’m not sure. Wasn’t that primarily a video game mag?
GB3, much like Indy 4, would go thru cycles of news and discussion. It would get cold for a while, then around 2007ish it heated up again. And again. And again.

Just to get a sense of how far we are apart on this. Is your contention that a Ghostbusters 3, released in 2010-12, with the original cast passing the torch, would have made the same or less than ATC’s opening weekend?

Ghostbusters is one of those few movies that exists, like Back to the Future, like E.T. or Raiders or the Lost Ark. it’s one of those movies 9 out of 10 people really enjoy. It’s not, or didn’t use to be prior to ATC, political or controversial. It’s a fun time at the movies. A forgettable sequel, and some actors who haven’t had big hits in awhile aren’t going to change that.

If I had to guess, a Ghostbusters 3 would open, AT LEAST OPEN, to a domestic gross of 80-100 million in 2012.

See I actually think the opening of ATC, now that it’s all said & done, was high. That movie had nothing but horseshit thrown at it from every angle, one of the worst trailers ever made next to Jack & Jill(who released that?), constant political back & forth. I mean all the press ATC got should show u how important these movies are. It was negative, negative, negative and that it managed anything above 25 million is a miracle. At the time I thought I was an embarrassment. But when you sit and think about it, the movie was a pariah. That year you didn’t bring up 4 things at parties instead of the usual 3. Sex, politics, religion—And Ghostbusters.

I’ve seen my fair share of focus groups and while I never saw one on Ghostbusters or anything comparable I did get to see how people chose their movies that they want to see and anytime it was something remotely familiar? Scores went up over the mean.

This one comes to mind.

So one of the focus groups run was one we called “The Red/Green Slide Show”(there was a Canadian show called Red Green Show so the name was a play on that). So how “The Red/Green Slide Show” worked was we’d show a group of people a selection of photos of actors and musicians or politicians. Everytime they had a positive or negative impression of the person shown on screen they’d hit a red or green button on their desk. Red for negative and green for positive. If it was neutral they wouldn’t do anything. So if, say, Don Cheadle’s face would come up & 70% liked him? 70% clicked green.

But this wasn’t about Don Cheadle. This one I remember specifically was about a Mel Gibson film. He was the star. But he’d been in lots of trouble prior to this. Racist/antisemitic stuff. Ugly shit. So before we show them a frame of footage from the movie, we do this slide show test. We show them a few different actors and musicians, then Mel’s face and name finally showed up. When it did 80% hit the red button( the negative button). And they hit it quick and hard(which the device measures). So afterwards we take all the buttons and gear away. Move them into a new room. And now we show them a trailer of the movie. For a movie staring Mel Gibson. After the trailer is done, we gave them a piece of paper to fill out. A questionnaire. How likely are they to see the movie in a theatre, or wait to rent it, recommend it, overall impression.etc You follow?

So With 80% having a negative opinion of Mel from pressing the red button, what do you think the % was of wanting to see the movie? 70%! 70% said they’d be willing to see the movie in theatre or rent it. After 80% saying they didn’t have a postive impression of the man. And people pressed that button hard & quick. So the quicker and harder the reaction? Then we quantify it as a STRONG emotion. Anyways. Just an interesting thing to think about.

I worked a lot of focus groups over the years at my prior job and there’s a reason film studios are scared of “New”. People are as well. They respond to what they know. The familiar.
Last edited by RichardLess on March 2nd, 2024, 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why it didnt show up in your magazine about Wizards, I’m not sure. Wasn’t that primarily a video game mag?
It was a popular magazine in the 1990's and early 2000's that was mostly centered on comic books, but did do a lot of stories about broader comic-adjacent pop culture of the time.

Carry on.
Fritz wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 6:52 am
Why it didnt show up in your magazine about Wizards, I’m not sure. Wasn’t that primarily a video game mag?
It was a popular magazine in the 1990's and early 2000's that was mostly centered on comic books, but did do a lot of stories about broader comic-adjacent pop culture of the time.

Carry on.
I was joking. I didn’t think it was a magazine about Wizards lol. I do remember it had video game stuff in it tho.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amGhostbusters 2 came out in the pre internet days. This is part of the reason Answer the Call destroyed the box office feasibility. The internet era, meme culture, Nuke The Fridge. Remember that? Of course you do. Everyone does. That shit stays in the cultural zeitgeist. So the association isn’t remotely the same as far as affect as on sequel on another.
I mean, I certainly remember that stuff, exactly like I remember Ghostbusters 2 being listed as a prototypical example of a mediocre sequel for 20 years, in crowds that have nothing to do with Ghostbusters. I don't really find Nuke the Fridge to be any worse than Batman & Robin being a decades-long punching bag for people, and that was well before the internet was a major thing.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amThe song, the first movie or the cartoon. I said it was part of a franchise. Real Ghostbusters was a huge show.
My main take on the cartoon stuff is, yeah, it was hugely popular, but like the live-action movies, it also ended, and with a certain level of ignominy (with the suits introducing the "Slimer! And the Real Ghostbusters" stuff and dumbing the show down). I think the show was hurt by not being widely-available on DVD until after a lot of its generational counterparts, and that while the cartoon is a notable part of the whole Ghostbusters legacy, I would not be shocked if, in a breakdown of how many people said "the song, the first movie, or the cartoon," the latter would only get around 10 or 15%. You've already got something that is only aimed at a fraction of the movie's audience, which was not easy to watch for a long time to help perpetuate that nostalgic power, and part of which took on a distinctly different and lesser quality.

An average episode of "The Real Ghostbusters" posted to the official Ghostbusters YouTube channel averages between 30k and 60k views, which is not really that much. A "Ghostbusters Yule Log" video on the same channel has 58K views itself.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amGhostbusters 2 got an A- CinemaScore. That’s a very good score.
Yeah, as you know, I wrote for Boxoffice dot com, so obviously I know what CinemaScore is. I also don't have to know what CinemaScore is to know that A- is a good grade.

Another movie they gave an A- CinemaScore to would be Star Wars - Episode I: The Phantom Menace. I think it's safe to say that both movies settled into a different reputation in pop culture following the initial hype. Do you feel like Ghostbusters: Afterlife is viewed generally as an A-? It received that grade as well, but I think the people out there that do hate it hate it enough to drag the movie down to more like a B-.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amI didn’t say it was something you said I’m saying that’s the internal faulty logic of your assumption on how an audience member selects a movie.
Maybe an unimportant distinction, but I wasn't envisioning someone "selecting" a movie. Just hearing about it the first time and making a snap judgment of how they feel about it.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amMurray was nominated for an Oscar in 2004. He became Wes Anderson’s muse. He was the best part of Zombieland and he’s a beloved cultural icon. He had a documentary made just from the legendary stories that circulate about him. Murray wasn’t making bad movies. Beyond Garfield and City of Ember He was making different movies that didn’t have 4 quadrant mass appeal. That’s an important distinction.
I was, as previously mentioned, talking about the '90s, around the time he made Larger Than Life. I agree that starting with Rushmore, he started to ascend again, which is why I said I think the period in which Ghostbusters 3 would've been most primed for success was in that 1999-2012 range, which is exactly the same time period you're talking about. This is also why I mentioned Blues Brothers 2000.
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 amJust to get a sense of how far we are apart on this. Is your contention that a Ghostbusters 3, released in 2010-12, with the original cast passing the torch, would have made the same or less than ATC’s opening weekend?
To be honest, I hadn't really thought about it in terms of specific numbers. Mostly, I am doubting your contention that it would've been a notable success. I definitely think it would've been more successful than Ghostbusters (2016), but I suppose I would have guessed something in the range of $400-$475m WW on a $200m-$250m budget. (I would note here that while in the past people were told to use 2x as a rule of thumb, I was always told 3x was the contemporary rule of thumb given back-end participation deals and inflated marketing budgets)
RichardLess wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 2:10 am...So With 80% having a negative opinion of Mel from pressing the red button, what do you think the % was of wanting to see the movie? 70%! 70% said they’d be willing to see the movie in theatre or rent it. After 80% saying they didn’t have a postive impression of the man.
This is useful because to me it might illustrate a difference in our thinking. When I say I think it matters to audiences that Bill Murray had done a few bad movies in the '90s, I'm not talking about "impression of the man." I'm talking about impression of the idea that Murray is now going to make Ghostbusters 3. To go back to the thing that started this conversation in the first place, I maintain that an underrated struggle in making new Ghostbusters movies has been that the audience has to be sold anew each time one is made rather than expecting them to be made and just waiting to see how good it looks or what makes the new one interesting.

An example I used previously was whether or not it came off as desperate, as a cash-in, to make a Ghostbusters 3. With Mel Gibson as a person and then as the star of a movie, the two things being presented are different: do I like this man and his behavior versus do I like the movie I was just shown a trailer for? Easy to believe that someone might dislike the former but like the latter. However, if you were first explaining to your test group "hypothetically, does it seem like a good idea to try and make Ghostbusters 3?" and then you show them a trailer for one, the question could stay the same, and if people are skeptical it could be good, that could easily be based in the thinking, "well, he keeps making bad movies recently." Not that complicated.
I don't really know if they did themselves a big favor by moving the release date up from the 28th to the 21st. I'm located in Germany and today the screenings for the rest of March have been uploaded....Dune has secured all the big screens for the rest of March and Frozen Empire has been pushed to the small screens, which have also barely sold any tickets yet.

The situation is even worse with the English-language performances, which are only shown here rarely and at the smallest screens. Afterlife had much less competition back in 2021 - I was able to choose between IMAX screenings each day of the week.

Therefore, I don't expect the box office to be that good, at least in Europe. But Ghostbusters isn't such a big thing here to begin with. When watching Dune the past week, my friends didn't know about a new Ghostbusters movie coming out and then thought it's a sequel to "Answer the Call" once the trailer dropped. :mrgreen:

How are things in the US, are more seats booked?

All in all, I don't expect this being too popular and reviews could be mixed as well. Could turn out to be a similar situation to "Afterlife" with this movie being a stronger home and streaming release.
I know it's going to be a bit of a wait before we see the box office figures trickle in, but let's try not to get too bogged-down in discussing the response by the critics and some of the audience when we already have those discussions taking place elsewhere.
Yeah. It feels like a good, but not great scenario at the moment. Obviously, they’d want to see some growth in those numbers, especially since this isn’t opening in the midst of the pandemic.

Cinemascore is a B+ where Afterlife was an A-. Rottentomatoes user score is 86% compared to Afterlife’s 94%. To me this would put it performing slightly below Afterlife. The only factor that’s hard to compute is kids and their desire for repeat viewings that may affect it.

Anecdotal, but that’s what I love most about the film. I was awakened by my 7 year old in flightsuit with a pack and gun blasting ghosts. They’re begging to go back.

We’ll have to see.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: March 23rd, 2024, 12:59 am $16mil Friday - on track for $42-43mil opening

Guess this is just OK?

https://deadline.com/2024/03/box-office ... 235865730/
It’s not good. Cinema score is bad(I know B+ sounds good but it’s not).

The movie cost more than Afterlife, a movie that barely, if it all, broke even.

So if the trend follows? that’s 3 ghostbusters movies in a row that have either lost money or made very little if anything.

I think this is it for awhile folks, unless the international numbers become surprisingly big?

Animation is the future of this franchise.

Pretty messed up that you can tell all that off a single day’s take, a rottentomatoes score and a cinemascore.

Shame. A real shame. But hey who thought this is we’re we’d be 10 years ago?
RichardLess wrote: So if the trend follows? that’s 3 ghostbusters movies in a row that have either lost money or made very little if anything.

I think this is it for awhile folks, unless the international numbers become surprisingly big?
Being optimistic - I think if it breaks even they’ll go again with a similar budget.

This is because Sony want to keep Ghostbusters active, Ghost Corp want to do it and the Sony’s other movies have bombed. McKenna, Finn and Logan are contractually locked in and will be big stars of the future. They’ve committed development of an animated series - maybe they’ll wait for the cast to star in other projects and the netflix series to gain mindshare before proceeding with a third.
The opening weekend was solid for the movie and thankfully we are already about 25% of the way to Sony not burying the franchise for another couple of decades. Since the theaters take away half of said box office numbers, we need the film to hit 2.1+ million worldwide for Sony (being Sony) to look at this film in a positive light.

*FINGERS CROSSED*

At the moment, the next few weeks are the uphill struggle. The new Godzilla film is coming out next weekend which will fight for first place at the box office (which is huge.) Plus film critics via Rotten Tomatos bashed the film for being an End Game when they wanted the passing of the torch to be over and for another '84 comedy. While there's no doubt that the franchise and its story have grown, that would not stop film critics for reviewing it negatively for being the second passing of the torch story in a row. (While us fans wanted a little bit more time with the OG's since we were denied the continuation of the series in the '90's and 00's., the average movie goer wanted something more fluffy.)
$62,600,000. is pretty decent for worldwide box office, so far.
Some countries won't open for a week or two, so hopefully it does well at that time.
IMHO, total worldwide box office will have to be at least $300,000,000 since the production budget is rumored to be in the $100,000,000 range, whereas Afterlife was around $75,000,000.

I'd love a photo of how you wired up the charging […]

Holy Heisenberg! The Diamond Select figures were […]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

So, I have a Matty trap I've retired with the Two […]

Hey guys, its been over a month without updates an[…]