A review for a Ghostbusters film is probably the last thing you need to read from a site that is dedicated to all things Ghostbusters. That being said, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is a perfect Ghostbusters movie. It was made by Ghostbusters fans for Ghostbusters fans, and the love and passion shine through with every member of the cast and in every single scene.

I was lucky enough to attend the New York City Premiere and hang out on the red carpet with the cast before and during the movie. It was an incredible honor to be there, to help cover the event for the Yes Have Some podcast, take a few photos and videos, and chat with the stars of the movie for a few minutes near the entrance to the carpet. Putting a crown on the event was Bill Murray anointing us and the rest of the cast upon his triumphant, albeit late, entrance.

My first viewing of the movie was there in the auditorium with the cast and crew. There was an amazing electric vibe in the room. Within a few dozen seats were everyone: Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, Paul Rudd, McKenna Grace, Carrie Coon, Annie Potts, William Atherton, Patton Oswalt, Finn Wolfhard, Logan Kim, Celeste O'Connor, James Acaster, Emily Lind, and more. The excitement of seeing the movie and everything else going on left me feeling rushed. The movie felt too short; everything felt like it went by too fast. By the time the third act arrived, it felt like the movie still had an hour to go and then it was over. Many critics echoed these sentiments, feeling overwhelmed by the abundance of characters and the perceived disjointedness. It is a strange feeling, the anticipation of what is going to happen, wondering what the next thing will be, until finally you realize it's over. That anticipation really wreaked havoc upon the first viewing for me.

But wait, didn't I say: "Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is a perfect Ghostbusters movie"?

It wasn't until the second viewing that everything really clicked. No longer burdened by the anticipation for 'what happens next', I was able to enjoy every element of the movie. Each scene, each act, each set of dialog builds upon one another, moving the story forward in such a perfect way. By the time the third act comes along, it no longer feels rushed; it feels like a brilliant conclusion to the story. The additional storylines and new characters, such as Kumail Nanjiani, James Acaster, and Emily Lind, were welcomed additions. Additional lore and backstory provided by Patton Oswalt yielded a set of fun situations. The movie had so many amazing performances. Dan Aykroyd crushed it as Ray Stantz. Any scene with McKenna Grace was absolutely perfect and only aided and improved by Emily Lind's character. Logan Kim's Podcast remained easily one of the funniest and best characters of the series. James Acaster added a well-needed amount of dry humor, reminiscent of Harold Ramis' Egon Spengler. Finally, Kumail Nanjiani's character was hilarious in every way, and he absolutely crushed the role.

The completely new and unique villain in Garraka was perfect. There was a great amount of build-up and slow introduction to the character. Slowly, backstory and information of Garraka trickles in. It is very much in the same vein as Ghostbusters 1 & 2 in that regard. When Dan Aykroyd's Ray Stantz finally breaks down the lore of the 'Death Chill', you are feeling it running down your spine. There is a perfect balance of horror and comedy that matches the style of Ghostbusters 1 and 2 quite well.

The movie was much better on the second viewing. Personally, I cannot wait to watch it several more times over the weekend. It really was a perfect movie for Ghostbusters fans. Congratulations to Gil Kenan, Jason Reitman, and everyone at Ghost Corps, along with all the other talented individuals involved in the production. You all absolutely nailed it. Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire is not just a film; it's a celebration of everything we love about Ghostbusters.
edspengler, zeta otaku, Dr.D and 11 others liked this
I somehow managed to avoid almost everything about this movie after the first trailer, and I have to admit was a mix of excited and ready to be 'just whelmed' today when I saw it with my family.

But we all had a GREAT time! It was so much fun, and I not only had a smile on my face the whole time, I was laughing. My kids were laughing, and even my wife, who is not really even a Ghostbusters fan, was laughing. The fairly packed theater was laughing, cheering, etc. And this was on Sunday afternoon. We loved everything about it. It felt right, it was a great mix of old and new, comedy and sci-fi, serious and light. I cannot wait to see it again. I'd love to see an extended version someday, if we're lucky.

It feels like what I hoped a NEW Ghostbusters film would feel like. I'm so excited to see more stories like this. My 11 year old immediately asked, 'will there be another one?' We hope so.
prodestrian, Kieron W, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
I am legitimately astonished to see/hear people enjoyed this.
Mind, I am not condemning anyone or trying to sour their viewing experience, I just share a wildly opposing viewpoint.
In short, it made me sad to see what this installment presented and I think the powers that be should be ashamed of what they produced.
One time, indy1685 liked this
AMZart11 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:05 pm I am legitimately astonished to see/hear people enjoyed this.
Mind, I am not condemning anyone or trying to sour their viewing experience, I just share a wildly opposing viewpoint.
In short, it made me sad to see what this installment presented and I think the powers that be should be ashamed of what they produced.
I enjoyed the film but I wouldn't say it's perfect. I'd say it's a B-.
AMZart11 wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 12:05 pm I am legitimately astonished to see/hear people enjoyed this.
See a lot of this on the social media fan groups ie where astroturfing and culture warring is still alive whenever you mention 2016.

I understand being disappointed or finding it mediocre - I don’t agree and really loved it, but that’s fine - however I’m very suspicious of any fan with such strong negative views of Frozen Empire. It doesn’t make sense. Unless you hated Real Ghostbusters?
Ectopher liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 3rd, 2024, 3:22 pm See a lot of this on the social media fan groups ie where astroturfing and culture warring is still alive whenever you mention 2016.

I understand being disappointed or finding it mediocre - I don’t agree and really loved it, but that’s fine - however I’m very suspicious of any fan with such strong negative views of Frozen Empire. It doesn’t make sense. Unless you hated Real Ghostbusters?
Alright, my response below is probably too long, so I guess I would just ask this before anything else, what exactly did you like about it? I am genuinely curious.

I get the suspicion, but I'd contend I'm not being some agro fan-boy here. My response is very measured, and again, not trying to take anything away from anyone who enjoyed it.
I legitimately come to the film with two minds — one as a general filmgoer, and one of course, as a diehard fan.

As a film goer, I was thoroughly disappointed to see such fragmented, convoluted story telling. A lot of great ideas/moments, zero commitment. Especially following the fairly solid story telling in Afterlife.

As a mega fan, I was sincerely bummed out to see characters both old and new stripped of most of their charm and personality, reduced to limp one liners and one-note pigeon holing based on who they represented in the film. Afterlife did more than a capable job of warming me/us to this new team, in addition to giving the older crew the means to "pass the pack". These story threads... character threads... are nearly non-existent in FE, certainly in any meaningful way.

In so many words, everyone gets a beat or two, but no real heart thumps beneath any of it.

I can see people having fun with it, as they did 2016 (to which I would hurl as much criticism), but I will die on the hill that this was not a cohesive movie nor one with much depth. Which again, makes me sad.
The moments were there — namely from Aykroyd.

Ray expressing this is how he wants to spend his golden years? That wistful moment where he sees the Ecto tear by on the street from the shop? Boom. Heart all day. Hell, even that small gag where Murray grabs the booze from behind an outlet box? It suggests so much history in the firehouse and his familiarity with it. But it gets swept away.

Those stories along with what seems like several others got lost in the shuffle.

Again, I'm not trying to start some kinda fight. Unlike most fanboys, I'd like to think my criticism is constructive and pointed — less just pissed a woman is doing something or that I didn't get to see a certain ghost.
One time, indy1685 liked this
I honestly don’t know what either of you were expecting. This movie had Dan nailing his Ray performance, which lasted most of the film. So you got plenty of authentic GB 1&2 Ray Stantz. You also got two very funny and extended cameos from Bill Murray. A much faster paced movie with a denser script. New actors Acastar and Kumail delivering solid jokes and performances. Humour which landed throughout. You got a NYC Ecto-1 ghost chase. New vehicles and lore. Podcast and Trevor had small roles, but were funny. Garraka was a creepy villain even if they didn’t do much in the end. A slight expansion of lore with ghosts being tied to objects, and revealing more about Phoebe’s character. The superb moment where Phoebe is possessed. Melody looks cool, and has a solid arc. You got to hang at Ray’s Occult. Possessor was a great addition. Pukey was a fun.

Sure the film could’ve gone on for 2h30 had a bit more connective tissue and time for all the characters. It could’ve had an additional busting sequence with Rudd. They could’ve gone to a museum instead of the library. They could’ve split the team up at the end so each group was doing something different. It could’ve had a $150mill budget. But instead Phoebe modded a pack and fired 3 green beams, which looked awesome and they tied the Melody and Firemaster plot together in a nice bow. It worked for me. I just don’t know as a fan what there is that’s lame or objectionable about the above? It really was like an ep of Real Ghostbusters.
prodestrian, RedSpecial, robbritton and 1 others liked this
Maybe it's just because I've been waiting over 30 years to watch a Ghostbusters film which wasn't an origin story but I loved it. I'd argue that every single film before FE was an origin story in some way (going into business or resurrecting the business). I really liked finally seeing something new. Even the 2009 video game was stuck within the 84 Shandorian mythology.

Also I only watched the first teaser and completely avoided the subsequent trailers, and I can say definitely that it was the right decision (I was shocked afterwards to see how many of my favourite reveals and jokes were spoiled in the trailers).

Yes, definitely some pacing issues, and some characters that could have been merged together, but I had a great time. And the second viewing was much better too. Third one was also great. Can't wait for the digital release.

This is Ghostbusters, not the Godfather trilogy. I just wanted to be entertained, and I definitely was.

My biggest gripe is that they didn't film a bunch of episodes of "Repossessed" and put them out as web exclusives. Next time, please! :lol:
RedSpecial liked this
Didn't Netflix announce a live action series also? Yes, I know that Repossessed is the name of their podcast, however if Netflix were developing a live action series, that would have been a good idea to base it off of. A Ghostbusters spoof of Haunted Collector. Dan and podcast could narrate short stories based off of the objects people bring in to Rays Occult. Would have been fun.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:11 pm I just don’t know as a fan what there is that’s lame or objectionable about the above? It really was like an ep of Real Ghostbusters.
As isolated ideas, yes — all great. But like I said, zero commitment to any of them. It's just fragments.
Look... There's no changing anyone's mind here, and while I could waste a bunch of time explaining exactly why I stand by these convictions, why bother?

You enjoyed the movie for what it was... which again I find surprising, but hey, not everybody likes the same stuff.
I just remarked how shocked I was to see a lack of backlash, and moreso, someone daring to call this mess "perfect".
indy1685 liked this
AMZart11 wrote: April 5th, 2024, 10:16 am
One time wrote: April 4th, 2024, 4:49 pm
This Post Contains Spoilers
While I'm not looking for a pile on, it's a relief to see at least someone else wasn't won over by setups and member-berries. What put you off?
I could go on for days, sadly, but will resist! hahaha
viewtopic.php?p=4996179#p4996179

I won't describe it all again, the posts on that page summarize it.
One time wrote: April 5th, 2024, 10:22 am Most online reviewers (Angry Joe, etc.) seem to agree the movie is apparently intended more for children. [/spoiler]
They're entitled to that conclusion, but I think the darkest aspects of Garraka's plan and actions speak to the contrary. The
would speak pretty loudly against Frozen Empire being "intended for children".
Chicken, He Clucked and -1 others liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 4th, 2024, 5:11 pm I honestly don’t know what either of you were expecting. This movie had Dan nailing his Ray performance, which lasted most of the film. So you got plenty of authentic GB 1&2 Ray Stantz. You also got two very funny and extended cameos from Bill Murray. A much faster paced movie with a denser script. New actors Acastar and Kumail delivering solid jokes and performances. Humour which landed throughout. You got a NYC Ecto-1 ghost chase. New vehicles and lore. Podcast and Trevor had small roles, but were funny. Garraka was a creepy villain even if they didn’t do much in the end. A slight expansion of lore with ghosts being tied to objects, and revealing more about Phoebe’s character. The superb moment where Phoebe is possessed. Melody looks cool, and has a solid arc. You got to hang at Ray’s Occult. Possessor was a great addition. Pukey was a fun.

Sure the film could’ve gone on for 2h30 had a bit more connective tissue and time for all the characters. It could’ve had an additional busting sequence with Rudd. They could’ve gone to a museum instead of the library. They could’ve split the team up at the end so each group was doing something different. It could’ve had a $150mill budget. But instead Phoebe modded a pack and fired 3 green beams, which looked awesome and they tied the Melody and Firemaster plot together in a nice bow. It worked for me. I just don’t know as a fan what there is that’s lame or objectionable about the above? It really was like an ep of Real Ghostbusters.
You’ve dead on nailed why I loved it. Might print this out and laminate it for when times are hard!
It may not be perfect, but I think it hits a lot of the notes what many would hope to see in a Ghostbusters movie. I feel that in the end we need to accept that no movie is ever going to quite recapture the magic of what made the original so special, but it doesn't mean we can't still have enjoyable Ghostbusters movies that help to expand the world and the lore we're familiar with. :)
The next film is going to be the real challenge - if it happens - because it will need to shake things up. Afterlife and FE put the franchise back on track, but to grow an audience they can’t just do more of the same again. And that is hugely risky. The new cast need to be front and centre and have a rapport they don’t currently have. That means Trevor interacting with Podcast, Lucky interacting with Phoebe - something that doesn’t really happens in the movies. I also think it needs to hit a lighter tone, even though I like the darkness of FE.

In terms of plots they have:

Hellhattan (GB3)
Rival Team (RGB / Comics)
Travelling to the spirit dimension / exploring a bigger containment unit (RGB)
Lovecraftian Elder Gods (RGB)
Sam hain (RGB)

I think it would be interesting to explore a ghost which haunts or grows in power using modern tech like smartphones & social media - something that couldn’t have been done in the original films - a bit like killerwatt or maybe an Elder God / octopus type spirit drawing power to manifest from modern tech. Someone told me not to post sequel ideas because then they couldn’t use them, but these are all derivative of existing ghostbusters properties and a highly doubt they’d need to look here for ideas anyway.
prodestrian, Kingpin liked this
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: April 5th, 2024, 4:46 pm Someone told me not to post sequel ideas because then they couldn’t use them, but these are all derivative of existing ghostbusters properties and a highly doubt they’d need to look here for ideas anyway.
Posting sequel ideas is usually fine, because if you did sue the filmmakers for "stealing your work" then you'd have to prove that they actually read your forum post. That's why most studios have a blanket policy of rejecting scripts which are mailed in by fans (or non-union members), if they do end up coming up with a similar idea they can definitively say "we didn't read it". Also you'd likely have to prove to a court that your idea was so original and unique that they couldn't have come up with it on their own (which as you've pointed out, they're all derivative). Your ideas are good, I'm sure any of them could lay the foundation for an interesting sequel!
deadderek liked this
    Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]