By BrettRogersUK
Hi All,

I want to build the charlesworth Dynamics trap. I've downloaded the files from thingiverse and I've got all the guides including the electronic mechanical one he has for sale on his Etsy store.

I'm in the UK and want to try and source the parts needed for the doors so servos, cogs and chains. Also other parts too.

I was wondering if anyone from the UK has managed to source these from UK retailers. If not then I'll just have to buy from his Etsy Store and pay the shipping charge from the US.

Thanks All,

Brett
I'm in Australia but I'm very confident you can find those components in the UK as well. Where I had trouble was the Foster pneumatic fittings, the flexible pedal hose, the metal vector plates/heatsink, and some of the other tiny details.

I've used a combination of sources, including GBFans (USA-based) and WertheimersHardware (UK-based).

Also there's some remixes of Sean's pedal by ImperialWalker which are worth having a look at:
https://www.printables.com/search/model ... rs%20pedal
I found them a little easier to work with when wiring up the electronics.

Other parts you can print first then upgrade to the real thing later if you want to.

Edit: Also, EctoLabs is UK-based, I recommend signing up to be notified when his pack/trap decals and dry-rub transfers go on sale again: https://www.ectolabs.net/
(I have a set of each and they're brilliant)
tobycj liked this
Thanks for your reply.

I've managed to find the servos on Amazon but I'm having problems sourcing the sprockets and chain. The only place that comes up when I put the dimensions in is a place called servocity in the US. I put two of the sprokets in my basket and went to checkout and they want anywhere from $115 to $165 in shipping for a basket total of $3.98.

Thanks,

Brett
prodestrian liked this
Is there a Servocity EU website? One came up when I searched for that product, it just seemed to be in Italian.

Maybe it's possible to substitute for a similarly sized chain/sprocket too, if you can switch to a metric alternative it might open up options. Most likely it just means the trap doors could open slightly slower/faster than when using Imperial components, but there's ways to adjust that in the code if it's a real problem.
I've found a site called motionco.co.uk that has the sprockets and chain I need and they are UK based so I can get that from there. I think I've found all the door mech parts I need now.

Just looking at the smoke part e.g. pump etc and they're not expensive either. Got to look at some e-cigs to find some nice cheap ones to use.

I've been reading ectolabs post on here of the build he did of the same trap and he includes some of the bits he used as he is based in the UK too.

Thanks All, I don't know when I'll get round to building this but when I do I'll update you all on this post.

Regards,

Brett
prodestrian liked this
tobycj wrote: March 7th, 2024, 2:21 am Toby from Wertheimer's Hardware here - if you need Foster connectors I've got five sets coming in about a month.
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the comment. I will keep an eye on your Etsy shop. Will you be getting any more of the resistors in as I note you only have 3 left on your Etsy shop.

Cheers,

Brett
prodestrian, tobycj liked this
By tobycj
BrettRogersUK wrote: March 7th, 2024, 1:48 pm
tobycj wrote: March 7th, 2024, 2:21 am Toby from Wertheimer's Hardware here - if you need Foster connectors I've got five sets coming in about a month.
Hi Toby,

Thanks for the comment. I will keep an eye on your Etsy shop. Will you be getting any more of the resistors in as I note you only have 3 left on your Etsy shop.

Cheers,

Brett
No plans to get anymore resistors, I stumbled across someone selling a load in bulk a while ago which made them pretty affordable, so unless that happens again then once they're gone, they're gone!
BrettRogersUK liked this
Hi All,

Does anyone know a UK seller that sells the rear box light cover? I've discovered that it is a Linrose B4611B1. I've had a look but most of the sellers I've found are out of stock and on Etsy a few places that do have them do not ship the UK.

Otherwise, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks,

Brett
By tobycj
BrettRogersUK wrote: March 7th, 2024, 5:50 pm Hi All,

Does anyone know a UK seller that sells the rear box light cover? I've discovered that it is a Linrose B4611B1. I've had a look but most of the sellers I've found are out of stock and on Etsy a few places that do have them do not ship the UK.

Otherwise, does anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks,

Brett
I don't think anyone over here stocks them unfortunately. I couldn't find anywhere (reliable) I could buy them wholesale at a sensible price last time I looked.
tobycj wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:58 am I don't think anyone over here stocks them unfortunately. I couldn't find anywhere (reliable) I could buy them wholesale at a sensible price last time I looked.
That's what I thought. Probably about the only thing I can't get hold of over here.

Thanks for the reply anyway. By the way, purchased a resistor from your store 😀

I might try 3d printing one in transparent red filament see how it turns out.

Kindest Regards,

Brett
prodestrian, tobycj liked this
Hi All,

The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finished printing the parts required. I think I want to go for a GB1 trap look. So I'll be onto the P38 filling and sanding soon. I'll need to wait for some more decent weather so I can get outside to do it.

Couple questions:
1) Where can I get the black knob that goes on the trap on the resistor side?
2) What is the best Smoke recipe to use for the E-Cigs? I've seen that VG and DIstilled water mentioned but what proportions is best to use for a decent fog.

Thanks In Advance,

Brett
By tobycj
BrettRogersUK wrote: March 28th, 2024, 4:23 pm Hi All,

The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finished printing the parts required. I think I want to go for a GB1 trap look. So I'll be onto the P38 filling and sanding soon. I'll need to wait for some more decent weather so I can get outside to do it.

Couple questions:
1) Where can I get the black knob that goes on the trap on the resistor side?
2) What is the best Smoke recipe to use for the E-Cigs? I've seen that VG and DIstilled water mentioned but what proportions is best to use for a decent fog.

Thanks In Advance,

Brett
That black knob is a bugger to find. I got mine from gbhqpartsdepot on etsy (he did a custom ebay listing for me as he doesn't ship internationally on etsy).
I've ordered a second hand relay today to go on the trap pedal. It's an Omron MK3P version but still looks like the original which I believe looking through CD stuff was a ITT relay. Just need the two Hammond boxes now, they're not overly expensive. I found somewhere selling the foster connectors (steel ones not brass) for £5 each plus shipping. I believe the steel ones were used on GB1 traps and pedals. However, they don't seem to come with the fixing nut. Just the thread on the back of it.

I saw someone else in America was selling them, might have been gbhqpartsdepot as it wasn't shipping to the UK but I got mine for £2.00 from ebay so not complaining really.
prodestrian liked this
By tobycj
Yep, GB1 used the steel male Foster connectors. You don't really need the nut, the Hammond box it metal and if you tap it the connector is secure enough.

We think the GB1 pedal used the same ITT relay as GB2, but we're limited to screenshots as it's gone missing over the intervening years, but it certainly appears to be the same.
Excellent. I'm just trying now to find a source for the pedal bellows (the black springy thing under the pedal).

Thinking of using a steering gaiter for a car as its rubber and is able to hold itself up. I'm also on the scout around for the hinge as well to attach the pedal to the base.
By tobycj
The gbfans pedal bellows are great, so I'd recommend those myself. I got a 50mm hinge from B&Q that has the right number of segments. Seems the originals used a cut down piano hinge though.
tobycj wrote: March 31st, 2024, 2:16 pm The gbfans pedal bellows are great, so I'd recommend those myself. I got a 50mm hinge from B&Q that has the right number of segments. Seems the originals used a cut down piano hinge though.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll have a look at those. Now I've got the parts for the trap printed I'm gonna look at printing the bits for the pedal (the parts I want to 3D print) and then I'm going to buy all real parts for the rest of it. Already started as mentioned before with the 11 pin relay. Just trying to find the bits as cheap as possible as money is kind of like goldust at the moment. Not got much spare at the moment.
tobycj liked this
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Just looking at the lights for my trap. I know on the list it says Adafruit 2860 but would these do the job https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252067161443 ? I've got these in my proton pack for the cyclotron lights and the wand light too. It also uses the Adafruit Neopixel library as well to control them.

Regards,

Brett
tobycj wrote: March 31st, 2024, 2:16 pm The gbfans pedal bellows are great, so I'd recommend those myself. I got a 50mm hinge from B&Q that has the right number of segments. Seems the originals used a cut down piano hinge though.
Would these Hinges be OK? https://www.diy.com/departments/chrome- ... 917_BQ.prd

Do they fit the Vector plate used for the pedal from CD kit or did you use your own Vector plate and drill your own holes in it?

Only two hole hinges I can find either in 38mm or 50mm sizes.

Regards,

Brett
By tobycj
BrettRogersUK wrote: April 14th, 2024, 3:30 pm
Would these Hinges be OK? https://www.diy.com/departments/chrome- ... 917_BQ.prd

Do they fit the Vector plate used for the pedal from CD kit or did you use your own Vector plate and drill your own holes in it?

Only two hole hinges I can find either in 38mm or 50mm sizes.

Regards,

Brett
It looks like they may have changed that hinge, as that is the one I used according to the link I had saved (albeit zinc plated), but it was 4 knuckles not 3 when I bought it. I'm sure that would work fine though, you may need to re-drill the holes in it though, depending on how the line up with the vector plate holes - I had to do this, and it was fine. I could tap enough of the new hole, and used nuts on the rear, and it holds with no problems. I used a real vector plate on mine, rather than a 3D printed one.

Unlock a world of casual fun and excitement with t[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]