In 2021, shortly before relocating to S.D., I purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee. It was white in color, not matching my usual esthetic at all. I considered various wrap designs and options, but... what can you REALLY do with a plain white car anyway?

Answer; go back to your childhood fantasies and make it into an Ecto inspired piece. Fast forward to the end of 2021 and what should happen but the release of a new film that breathes new life into the fandom and franchise. With new vigor in the community at large, it was time to get started.

I have never been the greatest at making sure I do WIP images/videos, but I have a few to share here. As with all successful endeavors, the first step was a LOT of research and comparison. Then deciding on design elements that would work best with a vehicle that was NOT an antique Cadillac ambulance. The second step is sourcing appropriate parts OR alternates that will fit the build. This will inevitably lead to design alterations if the "proper" pieces cannot be obtained. I was able to create a few parts with the magic of 3d printing. Many others were acquired through searching through items up for recycling or disposal.

Because I wanted to keep my vehicle "mostly" non Ecto until needed, I decided on magnetic door emblems and a PVC frame with padded magnetic feet, while attempting to fabricate as much as possible out of light weigh (but sturdy) materials. This is a tall order on a limited budget.

Testing the fit of the frame on the car.

I did a few lay out mock-ups to help me figure out where everything would sit. Unfortunately, at the time I didn't have all of the pieces I would end up using. I DID find a broken rooftop radar dish that I was able to salvage a few pieces from, so I ended up using that in place of the 1/4 sphere, clear piece seen on the Ecto I or the modified Direct TV dish from the Ecto II.

First fitting and parts for the dish.

Final version of the dish, or at least, how it looks at the moment.

These are the mock lay out images.

I tried repeatedly to source proper oxygen bottles to no avail. The 3d printer I had at the time gave up the proverbial ghost after multiple failed attempts to finish the parts needed. This DID allow me to create a somewhat accurate radome, as seen above, and the silver tank on the front, seen below with the lights.. But, I happened to have a few decommissioned portable oxygen bottles, so I decided to use four of them, in pairs where the single, large ones were in the original design.

This also meant creating a way to fake the regulator and connecting them to a "manifold".

As for the large storage tube on the opposite side of the rack, I used riveted stove pipe with fabricated end caps and resin printed handles.

This is a better shot of the radome and tower. The antennas were donated by the mechanic at my bus driving job.

Mock up of the sniffer, the tower is PVC sewer fittings, ABS pipe for the arms, and (if memory serves) the housing was an old survey equipment image splitter thingy (technical term).

I ended up not using the 3d printed Federal Siren seen in these images, as the matching parts were some of the ones that failed. I DID, however, find a scrapped Whelen siren, which I mounted in the main box in an empty area, so it ended well.
These are the final mid-build images.

It took me a while to decide on the lights and how to go about them. I acquired a scrapped short rotating light bar, which I made new lenses for and used lower wattage bulbs, and mounted it to the back of the set up on a fabricated bracket.

I bought some round strobes and modified some halloween LED strobes to use my chosen color. I built the mount boxes from plumbing boxes I got at a yard sale, and decided to add a rope light, for reasons, and it works for the local light parade.

Next up... FINISHED images!

Taken 03/11/2024:

I also went over to the capital building to take a few "glamour" shots.

Capital Ghostbusters in now in business. Yes, it IS a sponsored car, so...
Last edited by smrtazzsmrtgnnr on March 11th, 2024, 9:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OBSIDIAN, alphabeta001, DrMadKatz and 1 others liked this
Over 100 pounds. I don't have an accurate way to get a more exact number immediately available to me.

I'm not satisfied with it (as usual) and am in the planning stages of a Mark II version or rebuild, using a better PVC frame, or possibly aluminum (riveted/bolted, as I cannot weld alum at this time.)
OBSIDIAN liked this
RealGhostbusterJay wrote: March 29th, 2024, 7:32 am Whole car is great but the pack trolly...how?
I was inspired by how a fork lift mast works, and again, am not satisfied with it. This happens to only be version 2.0.1 (version 1 rotated out 90 degrees... failed bad.) I will be redesigning it so it is narrower, fits in the car better with better lock down points and a stronger support system. And that IS my full weight pack (40 + lbs) hanging out there in mid air.
Ok guys, gals, spectral entities and other whatevers, time for an update.

As many of you know (or at least those who slogged through the word salad of my initial post), I was not happy with the first version of the roof rack. The frame was weak and many of the parts were either made of materials that would fall apart when allowed to get wet or made of foam and likewise insubstantial. {Speaking of things being moisture resistant, if anyone knows where to get affordable labels and stickers that are such, please let me know.}

Moving on. I did a total redesign/rebuild of the frame, (again from PVC) making it about a foot longer. Although it IS a shorter box height, is DOES sit about 1.5 inches higher, and has full framed in support below as well as diagonal supports on the sides.

As seen in image 5 above, I ditched the green rope light in favor of a total of EIGHT green/white marker lights. YES, I know, the storage tube is on the wrong side in those images... it was corrected. I have four more of the marker light, which I plan to mount in the front grill of the vehicle.

For the body of the box on this version, I went with some 3mm HDPE sheet I had from some previous projects, with a 1/2 inch foam sheet for the base. EVERYTHING in the box is either secured to the frame beneath and/or use support plates.

I kept the same light set up from before for the front. Here are some shots of tests for the new lights.

I have ordered a 36 inch directional bar (in green, of course) but am waiting for delivery. In the meantime, I added a "surprise box" just inside the front of the main box area... ready for this?

The S.P.M.M. inflatable is PERMANANTLY mounted and wired in on its own activation switch. (Huh... SPaMMy... good name for him. Registering THAT right away :-D ) I even made a storage spot for the collapsible traffic cones.

I will update again once the final lighting arrives, is installed and the unit is mounted on the car.

Future updates will include the rebuild/upgrade for the pack trolley, as well as possible storage and "charging" area for multiple traps and pedals.
DrMadKatz, kahuna900 liked this
While I am awaiting the delivery of the light bar (had to ask about it and they responded with "you order was lost".... GREAT customer service,) I went ahead and applied the vinyl decals to the car. No more magnetic logos!

Here is a comparison of the old sticker on the back to the new.

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Appreciate the input. Yeah I'm sure someone has. I[…]

A new update has gone through. Some bug fixes but […]

From what I can tell, the variations are for dista[…]

End papers printed for the prototype: https://i[…]