Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
Apologies if this has been answered already but I just rewatched Ghostbusters with the family on Halloween and I was asked a question I did not know the answer to.

So after the big explosion at GBHQ & all the ghosts are set free, Peck has his “Hold it! I want these men arrested” moment where Egon goes berserk with a “YOUR MOTHER!” and then there’s a cut and we hear various voices jousting until we make out a male voice saying….something. It sounds like Bill Murray. Maybe saying something like “What’d you call me?” Or “You’re a commie” or “Why didn’t you call me?”. Or something. I rewound the scene a dozen or so times, turned on subtitles, turned the volume waaay up and I couldn’t make it out.

Can anyone tell me what’s being said and who says it?
RichardLess wrote:Apologies if this has been answered already but I just rewatched Ghostbusters with the family on Halloween and I was asked a question I did not know the answer to.

So after the big explosion at GBHQ & all the ghosts are set free, Peck has his “Hold it! I want these men arrested” moment where Egon goes berserk with a “YOUR MOTHER!” and then there’s a cut and we hear various voices jousting until we make out a male voice saying….something. It sounds like Bill Murray. Maybe saying something like “What’d you call me?” Or “You’re a commie” or “Why didn’t you call me?”. Or something. I rewound the scene a dozen or so times, turned on subtitles, turned the volume waaay up and I couldn’t make it out.

Can anyone tell me what’s being said and who says it?
I made out one of the officers saying, "Come on, hold it! Hold it! Hold it!" Then Peter quips, "Did you hear what he called me?"
RichardLess liked this
Spengler: "Your mother!"
Someone: "Hey"
Cop?: "Come on, hold it! Hold it!"
Someone: "Oh come on, jeez" (sounds like Dan Aykroyd)
Venkman: "Mister Peck, are you trying to control me?"

Or maybe "Mister Peck, do your friends control me?"

Best I could make out.
Here's a clip of the clearest channel from the 7.1 audio:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... ZQ1BrZ-Rnj

Thought maybe the preview cut would have clearer audio because there's no music, but the lines are completely different:
Peck: "...and this explosion is a direct result of it!"
Venkman: "And yooooou turned off the power."
Peck: "Fascist!"
Venkman: "There was another guy here. You have to find this man and bring him back here! He's a little guy with a very determined look on his face."
Peck: "They're using drugs."
Spengler: "Your mother!"
Cop?: "Hey hold it, hold it!"
Peck: "Keep your hands off me!"
Stantz? "Come on, hey!"
Venkman: "Mister Peck...d" (and then it cuts off)

Pretty close to the shooting script, except that Spengler said: "If you don't shut up I'm going
to rip out your septum."

So probably a lot of this was improv on the day rather than scripted alternate takes.

The final continuity script is very different, it just says "Overlapping dialogue".

Spook Central's transcript says "Did you hear what he called me?" but I can't hear that line:
https://www.spookcentral.tk/sclib/ghost ... transcript
RichardLess liked this
^Yeah, that's my transcription that Paul has there.

To me, with your audio, sounds like, "Mr. Peck, are you trying to con me?" Like in reaction to Peck stating they were violating the Environmental Protection Act and the explosion was a direct result of it, Peter is jokingly asking him if Peck made that all up.

If you got the time, there's a scene in the basement that's got me thinking. When Peck is telling the Con-Ed guy to shut the grid off. I could swear he's calling him "Archibald."
RichardLess, Spenglers liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: November 4th, 2022, 2:58 am ^Yeah, that's my transcription that Paul has there.

To me, with your audio, sounds like, "Mr. Peck, are you trying to con me?" Like in reaction to Peck stating they were violating the Environmental Protection Act and the explosion was a direct result of it, Peter is jokingly asking him if Peck made that all up.

If you got the tell, there's a scene in the basement that's got me thinking. When Peck is telling the Con-Ed guy to shut the grid off. I could swear he's calling him "Archibald."
Damn. This fascinating. I don’t know what to think now. Good job fellas. Super interesting stuff.
From the Mueller (US) novelization:

[Venkman is trying to get the policeman to help them find Louis Tully.]

“Look, Captain, there was another man here. . . You’ve got to find him and bring him back. A short determined guy with the eyes of a happy zombie.”
“See!” Peck cried. “They are using drugs.”
“lf you don’t shut up, I’m going to rip out your septum!” Egon Spengler screamed with uncharacteristic fury, causing everyone for a thirty-foot radius to fall silent and stare. Peck backed away.

[This isn't a creation by Mueller, though. It's almost verbatim to how Aykroyd and Ramis wrote the exchange in the September '83 draft of the script. Even the 'uncharacteristic fury' part is from the stage directions.]

What's funny to me is that since the 80s I always thought he meant the septum in the nose, as that was the only definition for the term I knew. Years later I learned that the word simply means partition and is not unique to the nose. There are actually several septums in the body, including one inside a certain part of the male reproductive system.

Alex

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]