For the various Ghostbusters Cartoon series. Real Ghostbusters, Extreme Ghostbusters and more!
robbritton wrote: June 8th, 2022, 7:44 am Oooh! I wonder what era it'll feature?
Yeah, wonder if it will be a post-Afterlife era (similar to how RGB started post-GB1 and built its own canon), a big timeskip to the kids being GBs, Ecto-Force, or maybe even an anthology that explores a different era each episode.
deadderek, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
It will be interesting to see what they do here. Maybe they go with the Ecto-Force idea, and the new team is led by a 40 something Phoebe Spengler. Since it is set in the future, perhaps they could make time travel a component of a story arc, where they go back in time and meet the RGBs in the 80s. That would be kinda cool.
Fantastic news.

Of course, it raises so many questions... Will it follow on from the ending of Afterlife? That seems the most obvious point to start from, but the issue is that any animated continuation of that will ultimately end up being contradicted by the new film when it comes out.

It could be a spin-off series, loosely-linked to the "prime" universe post-Afterlife, but set in another part of the country, or the world, thus allowing it to exist alongside, without being massively contradicted by future film projects.

Or they could make something more along the lines of Batman: Beyond, where we see what Ghostbusting is like in the far-flung future.

Failing that, they could walk the familiar ground of The Real Ghostbusters, and have the series focus on the four original Ghostbusters (this concept could even be grounded on the basis that the episodes are recounts by Ray and Winston to animated versions of Phoebe and Podcast about some of their past exploits).

Style: Personally, I'd love to see a predominately 2D animated series, but with some 3D elements where they'd be naturally deployed, like Voltron: Legendary Defender, Q-Force or Inside Job... However I'd guess we'll see a 3D series, like Dragon Prince or The Last Kids on Earth.
Dr.D, robbritton, deadderek and 3 others liked this
A continuation with a proper ending to RGB would be a dream series for me, updated animation style with darker storylines.

But, I bet this was the "Ecto-Force" that Ivan had been trying to get off the ground a few years ago. Perhaps Jason is making his dad's GB projects come to fruition?
Lets hope that Kevin Smith doesn't get a hold of it. Lol. If it turns out like Voltron I think we'll be in good hands. Just to annoy Kingpin a little I thought I read the cartoon will be taking place after the event's of Filmation and following the lives of Tracy the Gorilla's kids. Dr. Zaius was set to reprise his role as a small cameo.

in all seriousness I'd love to see the continuation of Extreme. All I really would like is for a fun cartoon and very minimal politics being thrown in.
EddieSpenser wrote: June 8th, 2022, 10:39 am I want it to be a mix between RGB and Afterlife but please, no kids as heroes 🙏🏼
Plot twist: the hero is an actual fetus in a jar with a specialized RC car armed with little proton blasters it can control with it's mind. it knows all, sees all, and can do a kick flip with it's little car to boot! With it's trend setting sideways inside-out ball cap slung over the jar lid and always ready with a quip, a friendly comment, or its catchphrase "Prebirth beats afterlife!", get ready for the newest member to the Ghostbusters family in:

Ghostbusters: Pre-life!
Which brings up a question. Should Egon be included? Should Egon be alive or dead? A ghost with a voice serving as Phoebe's mentor, or the kids trying to find some way of bringing him back to life? It's not uncommon for characters to come back from the dead these days.
RichardLess wrote:Sony, Jason, Gil…

PLEASE MAKE THIS IN CONTINUITY WITH RGB AND EGB.

Please. Don’t restart. That’s what I think most GB fans would love.
I don’t think the fanbase should be putting pressure or a weight of expectation on the direction of the animated series. I doubt there is a consensus amongst fans here. Let’s just judge whatever comes on it’s own merit.

Eg. I would love a direct Real Ghostbuster continuation, but 30+ years have passed… I don’t view EGB as canon to RGB because it’s largely lacking in the things that I loved about RGB. Plus then you have a dozen existing characters in the mix before you introduce new ones it comes with similar baggage to rebooting the movie series.

I would be completely happy with a new and rebooted animated team and I think given they’ll be chasing a younger Afterlife audience that’s the most likely direction.
Eg. I would love a direct Real Ghostbuster continuation, but 30+ years have passed… I don’t view EGB as canon to RGB because it’s largely lacking in the things that I loved about RGB. Plus then you have a dozen existing characters in the mix before you introduce new ones it comes with similar baggage to rebooting the movie series.
I'm using the Incredibles as an example. Time doesn't really matter in the cartoon universe where as live action is more difficult in that regard. With the back in the saddle episodes of Extreme I'd say that pretty much seals that Real Ghostbusters is a part of that universe. They could very will decide to drop Extreme and just continue the Real Ghostbusters right where it left off.

I mean hell, Disney Plus is reviving the 90's X-Men cartoon, there's a rumored revival of King of the Hill in the works, and Beavis and Butthead so...Who knows what the plan is other then Jason at this point. Anything's possible.
Fritz wrote: June 8th, 2022, 1:00 pm Other than triggering my old man gripe of "Everything's on f***ing streaming nowadays instead of real TV networks" :lol: I look forward to finding out more about this.

LOL! I have never liked the idea of streaming either. Figures it would be Ghostbusters that would force my hand. However the good thing about streaming is that the show will have more creative freedom and will not have to conform to the standards and practices of Television Broadcast. So there won’t be anything like the Q5 issue that dumbed down The Real Ghostbusters. :)

Wow it begins! This is great. A new cartoon is actually happening. Can’t wait to see what it is revealed to be. It could go so many ways. It could take place after Afterlife, personally I am hoping that it takes place before. Mostly because I want to see more of the OG characters. ;) I know there Arc was beautifully brought to a close in Afterlife, but I will always have a soft spot for the OGs. It could take place in it’s own continuity separate from the films with all new characters. Whatever it is I hope that new and old fans alike love it and the iron stays nice and hot and we can keep getting more new projects greenlit.

This is everything I could have hoped for and so much more. I am so happy that Afterlife was so well received to see this happen. I am beyond thrilled that Jason Reitman will be stepping in his father’s footsteps as active producer for future projects. I believe the future of the franchise is in great hands. :):):)!
*NormalGamer* liked this
Very excited about this news! I had been hoping that the box office sucess of Afterlife would lead to a new animated series. Weather it is Ghostbusters: Ecto Force, or a new idea from Jason Reitman and Gil Kenan I am looking forward to seeing it when it premiers.
Chicken, He Clucked wrote: June 8th, 2022, 2:00 pm

I don’t think the fanbase should be putting pressure or a weight of expectation on the direction of the animated series. I doubt there is a consensus amongst fans here. Let’s just judge whatever comes on it’s own merit.

I would be completely happy with a new and rebooted animated team and I think given they’ll be chasing a younger Afterlife audience that’s the most likely direction.

I couldn’t disagree with this more. We absolutely should be telling Sony what we want to see. Will they listen? Probably not. This will probably be a reboot & much like they found out in 2016…that’s not what most fans want to see.

Extreme Ghostbusters is awesome. It sucks you don’t view it as canon, but it is. It’s a damn good show. Try giving it another chance maybe?

And I think if you were to poll fans and ask them: Would you rather a continuation of the RGB continuity or a Rebooted series, you’re dreaming if you think most wouldn’t go for the former. I’m sure there are some who want a fresh start, but I don’t. Why?

I’m a character person more than an idea person. Ghostbusting as an idea just isn’t all that special. What makes it work is the characters. And the characters in RGB and EGB are terrific. I want to spend time with them. I want to see more adventures with them. That doesn’t mean we can’t see new characters. Of course we can.

But rebooting is a bad idea when you have a huge tapestry of awesomeness to pull from.

Will they be chasing a younger audience? Maybe, maybe not. It’s 2022. It’s well understood by now that animated series are not made for only children. Need I remind the jury of the controversial He Man continuation by Kevin Smith? That was Netflix. It was a continuation of a continuity of an animated series from the early 1980s. That got made! Now will the stupid toxic fan response to that series make Netflix nervous about doing some similar with GB? Perhaps.

But Jason & Gil are just the right age to have an RGB fondness(I’m one of those weirdos who thinks EGB is the superior show. And it is, minus the animation)

Hell. They still make RGB Toys!

So come on Netflix! Don’t make the wrong move. Keep this in the continuity. Don’t follow GBA’s footsteps and have Egon dead.

It’s actually pretty amazing that GB has an animated continuity. Do you know how rare that is? It’s pretty cool and pretty forward thinking by the people who made EGB.

Just so long as they don’t do that god awful sounding “Ecto force”.
Exciting news. :)
Kingpin wrote:Fantastic news.

Of course, it raises so many questions... Will it follow on from the ending of Afterlife? That seems the most obvious point to start from, but the issue is that any animated continuation of that will ultimately end up being contradicted by the new film when it comes out.

It could be a spin-off series, loosely-linked to the "prime" universe post-Afterlife, but set in another part of the country, or the world, thus allowing it to exist alongside, without being massively contradicted by future film projects.

Or they could make something more along the lines of Batman: Beyond, where we see what Ghostbusting is like in the far-flung future.

Failing that, they could walk the familiar ground of The Real Ghostbusters, and have the series focus on the four original Ghostbusters (this concept could even be grounded on the basis that the episodes are recounts by Ray and Winston to animated versions of Phoebe and Podcast about some of their past exploits).

Style: Personally, I'd love to see a predominately 2D animated series, but with some 3D elements where they'd be naturally deployed, like Voltron: Legendary Defender, Q-Force or Inside Job... However I'd guess we'll see a 3D series, like Dragon Prince or The Last Kids on Earth.

Whatever animation format style is or whatever they take the story as long as it's written well, it would be great to see them stay true to the the Ghostbusters formula and at the same time give it a lot of 'freshness' for storytelling.
philmorgan81 wrote: LOL! I have never liked the idea of streaming either. Figures it would be Ghostbusters that would force my hand. However the good thing about streaming is that the show will have more creative freedom and will not have to conform to the standards and practices of Television Broadcast. So there won’t be anything like the Q5 issue that dumbed down The Real Ghostbusters.:)

Wow it begins! This is great. A new cartoon is actually happening. Can’t wait to see what it is revealed to be. It could go so many ways. It could take place after Afterlife, personally I am hoping that it takes place before. Mostly because I want to see more of the OG characters. ;) I know there Arc was beautifully brought to a close in Afterlife, but I will always have a soft spot for the OGs. It could take place in it’s own continuity separate from the films with all new characters. Whatever it is I hope that new and old fans alike love it and the iron stays nice and hot and we can keep getting more new projects greenlit.

This is everything I could have hoped for and so much more. I am so happy that Afterlife was so well received to see this happen. I am beyond thrilled that Jason Reitman will be stepping in his father’s footsteps as active producer for future projects. I believe the future of the franchise is in great hands. :):):)!
@ *referring to bold*

Despite it's hiccups and flaws, I don't really have a problem with streaming as a medium for television just a long as the technology improves overtime; what you said about the positives of streaming is 'exactly' why i'm all for it if it gives the creative freedom creators need without restrictions. It's no longer the 20th century anymore in terms of broadcast television and streaming has changed the paradigm of the television industry and how we produce content for television.

With today's announcement of a new GB animated show on GB Day, I say we have to take what we can get.

I don't think this new animated show 'has' to be directly in canon with RGB/EGB (would be great if it was in some way), but I am satisfied with what IDW has done with it by having different and separate GB universes coexisting as dimensions in one continuity with the Prime universe as the main GB universe. This new announced GB show can be yet another dimension in a long line of other different GB universes/dimensions with it's own designation name like in the IDW comics.
I agree there’s are too many streaming services but I think Netflix is one the few that deserves to be around. It started it off and is not studio specific which are not worthy of an entire streaming service (Maybe Disney+ is. I don’t have it though).

I have Netflix and coming this year is Sonic Prime. I know this is not but having Sonic and Ghostbusters together makes me so happy. 2 of my all time favorite things.
Kingpin liked this
WCat2000 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 6:13 pm I agree there’s are too many streaming services but I think Netflix is one the few that deserves to be around. It started it off and is not studio specific which are not worthy of an entire streaming service (Maybe Disney+ is. I don’t have it though).

I have Netflix and coming this year is Sonic Prime. I know this is not but having Sonic and Ghostbusters together makes me so happy. 2 of my all time favorite things.
The only concerns I have with Netflix is what feels like a quick-to-cancel practice with their programs and the recent news items about projects and people being axed following that one veteran being pushed out of the company.
Kingpin liked this
mrmichaelt wrote: June 8th, 2022, 6:24 pm
WCat2000 wrote: June 8th, 2022, 6:13 pm I agree there’s are too many streaming services but I think Netflix is one the few that deserves to be around. It started it off and is not studio specific which are not worthy of an entire streaming service (Maybe Disney+ is. I don’t have it though).

The only concerns I have with Netflix is what feels like a quick-to-cancel practice with their programs and the recent news items about projects and people being axed following that one veteran being pushed out of the company.
Ya I’ve heard others say they cancel things too easily. I haven’t really noticed because I mainly use it for movies but there are some shows I wanted to see. Have not read about anyone getting pushed out.
timeware wrote: June 8th, 2022, 5:52 pm I think we can all agree that Dan Schoening's art style is the way to go forward. that style in itself is pretty much a schoo in.
Hard agree. Though, even if the announced animated GB show doesn't use Schoening's style, then it can be used for another GB animated show if it's announced in the future, someday.
timeware wrote: June 8th, 2022, 5:52 pm I think we can all agree that Dan Schoening's art style is the way to go forward. that style in itself is pretty much a schoo in.
Don't you mean "a Schoe" in? Eh? EH?! No? Fine.

but yeah, I agree, his style would work so well animated and those stories would be AMAZING to see on TV. Can you imagine them getting up to all the crazy crossover stuff? They could bring in the VAs for RGB and EGB easily, bring back the ATC crew to reprise their roles... hey, a guy can dream.
Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]

Finally got my copy today - It's not the worst I'v[…]

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]