Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Sav C
philmorgan81 wrote:Oh yeah you make an excellent point. I like to use the term underperform because I don't think making back 229 million worldwide from a 140 million budget qualifies as a box office bomb. ;) I just believe that the film performed lower then the projected expectations the studio and all parties involved wanted it to. ;)

There is so much potential to still be tapped from the franchise and I feel that we are going to be in for some big suprises. I mean now that Ivan has retooled the deal with the studio we could be seeing a number of different Ghostbusters projects by many different directors. I know I am a broken record on this, but I am so looking forward to an oversaturation of GB goodness IF the next project performs well. I wonder if DC, Marvel or Star Wars fans get as excited as I am now. :)

As for Ecto Force I am very excited for what that could wind up being. I am not put off at the prospect of it being set in the future. I don't feel it is nessecary to set it that far in the future, but if it helps to set it apart from Classic and the Reboot that's cool. I think it could still work in a contemporary timeline. Whatever they decide to do with Ecto Force, (or whatever they decide to call it) I hope the core concept stays the same. The concept being following a set group of Ghostbusters that travel the world stopping hauntings, busting heads in a spiritual sense and teaming up with other Ghostbusters branches. If that concept stays the same it would really put some validity in all those awesome Fan Films we have seen from 2004 and up. :):):)
Well then I commend you on using the word underperform instead of box office bomb. ;) It definitely didn't make what they expected it to, but once everything was factored in I think there was no choice but to change those expectations.

I have a feeling that Sony figured there would be some of the vile sexist backlash, but I think they figured that after the initial wave everyone else would be on board with the film, or at least with condemning the backlash. I don't think they realized how relentless it would be, or else they probably would've approached it differently than they did. In other words I think they figured that there would be a few Cassidys, but I don't think they figured there would be people turning out to stand behind the Cassidys.

That reminds me, does anyone know if the GB Reddit is still the River of Slime that it was, or has it been cleaned up somewhat?

I think you're right about seeing a lot more Ghostbusters in the future! Even though it's been around 33 years, Ghostbusters still has so much endless potential and I for one can't wait until it's tapped into again. I'd love to direct a variation on Ghostbusters someday. It's a long shot but it's something fun to think about! Right now I think the market is ready for the Scifi Comedy genre. This fall we saw the premiere of two Scifi comedy shows, The Orville (a really funny take on shows like Star Trek, highly recommend,) and Ghosted (I only saw the pilot, kind of meh.) Stranger Things seems to be all the rage, but I suspect it takes itself too seriously for many people who aren't that into Scifi.

I'd like to see a Ghostbusters show in the future. The international element could be really awesome, imagine them capturing ghosts at famous monuments all around the world! They could trace the origins of so many modern day paranormal beliefs. Vigo and Dracula are said to be based on the same creep, perhaps they could go to Transylvania to bust some vampire like ghosts. I know in Ghostbusters II they had an idea of Dana being captured by some paranormal cult in Scotland or someplace, maybe they'll revisit that idea. Even going to Sleepy Hollow would be a fun excurtion. I used to really be into "true" ghost stories, there are so many that I'd like for them to explore. And since so many are all over the world, the idea of Ecto Force sounds well suited to tackle them.

That's where being set in the future could come into play, as transportation could be easier and they could go all around the world and not be restricted travel wise to local hauntings.

With that said I've always wanted to see them bust some more ghosts in Central Park for some reason. And not just sitting on a bench waiting for them to jog by (even though that was super cool). I'd like to see them actually tracking hauntings and studying them for a while, maybe doing a little detective work. Tell me if I'm wrong but I think they could make it work!
Noremon, marklungo liked this
By philmorgan81
Oh Yeah Absolutly Sav C! That is one of the things I enjoyed in The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters. The research and trying to figure out what the phenomenon was or what an entity's motivations were. With good writing a new Ghostbusters show could be a lot of fun. I'd hope that half the fun would be the variety of creatures they could come across. After all there is so much lore to tap into worldwide. I also hope that there approach is to put out a show that is fun for younger audiences, but can still be enjoyed by older audiences as well. Much like the first 2 seasons of The Real Ghostbusters or Batman The Animated Series, Justice League And Transformers Prime. I think there is some real potential to make a show that could have self contained stories and yet have an Arc or a theme that can come up thoughout a season. I have seen many of the modern cartoons doing this and I would love for Ghostbusters to get a chance to do the same thing. :):):)

Just imagining it really gets me pumped. Another thing that excites me is the prospect that if the Comic Continues with exceptional sells. I think that there is a good chance to see the Ecto Force Crew working with the Prime Characters. I know I am getting way ahead of myself considering I have no idea what Ecto Force will be. Weather it exists in a world of its own, ATC's Future or Prime Universe Future. No matter what they wind up being I know that there are fun and creative ways to make such a crossover work. The IDW crew have just been blowing my mind taking bits of everything fans love from the franchise and just working it into their books. Ecto Force is just another wonderful thing for the IDW crew to play with once it comes to light. :):):)

Sorry I hope I am not derailing the topic too much, but all these things do concern Ghostbusters future and if all goes well another live action film or many films won't be far behind. That is some amazing progress for a franchise that had been waiting for another film to get off the ground for 27 years. As Reitman said ATC was just the beginning and I have no doubt that we will be seeing that Ghost Corps Logo popping up in front of projects to come. :):):)
Sav C, marklungo liked this
By Sav C
philmorgan81 wrote:Oh Yeah Absolutly Sav C! That is one of the things I enjoyed in The Real Ghostbusters and Extreme Ghostbusters. The research and trying to figure out what the phenomenon was or what an entity's motivations were. With good writing a new Ghostbusters show could be a lot of fun. I'd hope that half the fun would be the variety of creatures they could come across. After all there is so much lore to tap into worldwide. I also hope that there approach is to put out a show that is fun for younger audiences, but can still be enjoyed by older audiences as well. Much like the first 2 seasons of The Real Ghostbusters or Batman The Animated Series, Justice League And Transformers Prime. I think there is some real potential to make a show that could have self contained stories and yet have an Arc or a theme that can come up thoughout a season. I have seen many of the modern cartoons doing this and I would love for Ghostbusters to get a chance to do the same thing. :):):)

Just imagining it really gets me pumped. Another thing that excites me is the prospect that if the Comic Continues with exceptional sells. I think that there is a good chance to see the Ecto Force Crew working with the Prime Characters. I know I am getting way ahead of myself considering I have no idea what Ecto Force will be. Weather it exists in a world of its own, ATC's Future or Prime Universe Future. No matter what they wind up being I know that there are fun and creative ways to make such a crossover work. The IDW crew have just been blowing my mind taking bits of everything fans love from the franchise and just working it into their books. Ecto Force is just another wonderful thing for the IDW crew to play with once it comes to light. :):):)

Sorry I hope I am not derailing the topic too much, but all these things do concern Ghostbusters future and if all goes well another live action film or many films won't be far behind. That is some amazing progress for a franchise that had been waiting for another film to get off the ground for 27 years. As Reitman said ATC was just the beginning and I have no doubt that we will be seeing that Ghost Corps Logo popping up in front of projects to come. :):):)
It would be great if they did! That's something that's fascinating about the original--it was made with adults in mind and not kids, yet kids loved it. With a TV show they could make it for adults and as long as it stayed in the same vein as the original it would be the biggest thing since sliced bread! Even on this site I've spun yarns about how I first discovered Ghostbusters I and II when I was five years old and have been a fan ever since. I think a large part of that is because the movies have a supernatural element that kids can be fascinated by, yet the tone is light enough that even for kids they enjoy watching it. I can't tell you how much joy I still feel when thinking about one of the first times I saw the Statue of Liberty scene when the slime started to react to Higher and Higher. :)

Unfortunately my knowledge of Ghostbusters does not really extend to the comic books. I'd like to read them someday but I don't know where to dive in (they probably aren't sold in supermarkets, and since there aren't any comic book shops around I'll probably have to special order them). I've never really read comic books in the past, just Mad Magazine. Still it's cool to know they've brought GB and ATC together successfully, and it makes me glad to know my fellow Ghostbusters fans have the comics to enjoy, even during times without any movies or shows!

While Ecto Force won't be a direct sequel to GB or ATC, it will be following them up and therefore will be a continuation in some way or another; so hopefully it's not too off topic. I think we were pretty much the only people to talk on this part of the board this weekend so at least nobody will have to sift through tons of posts to find the conversation they want. :)
philmorgan81, marklungo liked this
By philmorgan81
Oh man! Well believe me I was never really a big comic book reader either, but when they announced an ongoing series I jumped on it. I had to buy most of them online since I didn't have a local comic shop. I would highly recommend them because there are some awesome stories in them. I am not sure how familiar you are with them, but Here is a link to a wiki page that has the synopsis of the different issues and as the books come out it stays pretty up to date. At this point there are so many out there. The most cost effective way to buy them if you are interested is to buy the trades that have several issues in one book.

If you haven't seen this wiki link before I would suggest surfing it and read a synopsis or two. ;)

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghos ... ing_Series

I understand not wanting to read these if you are not a big comic reader, but for me personally, I can't get enough of them. :):):)
Sav C liked this
By marklungo
Sav C wrote:Unfortunately my knowledge of Ghostbusters does not really extend to the comic books. I'd like to read them someday but I don't know where to dive in (they probably aren't sold in supermarkets, and since there aren't any comic book shops around I'll probably have to special order them).
Have you tried your local library? They might have the trade paperback collections. That's how I read the comics.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
philmorgan81 wrote:Oh man! Well believe me I was never really a big comic book reader either, but when they announced an ongoing series I jumped on it. I had to buy most of them online since I didn't have a local comic shop. I would highly recommend them because there are some awesome stories in them. I am not sure how familiar you are with them, but Here is a link to a wiki page that has the synopsis of the different issues and as the books come out it stays pretty up to date. At this point there are so many out there. The most cost effective way to buy them if you are interested is to buy the trades that have several issues in one book.

If you haven't seen this wiki link before I would suggest surfing it and read a synopsis or two. ;)

http://ghostbusters.wikia.com/wiki/Ghos ... ing_Series

I understand not wanting to read these if you are not a big comic reader, but for me personally, I can't get enough of them. :):):)
I'd really like to get into them. Like you say the stories are awesome and I just want more Ghostbusters! I've only seen one guy complaing about them ever and he ended up getting banned from this site. Thanks for the link (I hadn't seen it before), I'm not overly familiar with the series and didn't realize they've only been around since 2011. I figured they started in the early 2000s, and assumed that finding good starting point may be a bit of a tough task. Come to think of it the only Ghostbusters comic I've ever read was on my iPad. It was an app with the one comic in it, and you would swipe the screen to see the next panel. It ended on a big cliff hanger, but I never got the followup app so I have no clue what happened, haha. I'm pretty sure it was not IDW. I'd definitely like to get into them, and who knows, perhaps I'll become a big comic reader once I get into them.
marklungo wrote:
Sav C wrote:Unfortunately my knowledge of Ghostbusters does not really extend to the comic books. I'd like to read them someday but I don't know where to dive in (they probably aren't sold in supermarkets, and since there aren't any comic book shops around I'll probably have to special order them).
Have you tried your local library? They might have the trade paperback collections. That's how I read the comics.
Welcome to the site! That's a good suggestion, but my library doesn't have any, however there are always interlibrary loans!
philmorgan81, marklungo liked this
By mrmichaelt
Sav C wrote:Thanks for the link (I hadn't seen it before), I'm not overly familiar with the series and didn't realize they've only been around since 2011. I figured they started in the early 2000s, and assumed that finding good starting point may be a bit of a tough task.
Yes, the comics have been with IDW since 2008 but Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening, and Luis Delgado's run didn't start until 2011 with #1 of Volume 1 of the ongoing. You only really have to read the Tainted Love one shot, What in Samhain Just Happened?! one shot, and the Ghostbusters: Infestation 2 parter before hand. The rest you can ignore as they don't come up in terms of continuity so much you'd be lost.
Sav C liked this
By Lee FW
Was a big fan of him before but after watching Thor Ragnarok can't help but think Taika Waititi would make an excellent choice for an ATC sequel. He brought a down to earthiness to the absurd and the comedy dialogue came off quite natural. Basically it felt like the kind of things you would actually say in the face of all the ridiculousness of that was happening rather than typical super hero righteous speeches.
Sav C liked this
By GBPaulRivera
This post is a little old, and I'm sure someone's mentioned this already, but personally, I'd like to see the Ghostbusters go out of New York. I mean, at this point, no sequel is coming for the ATC team, unless by coincidence history repeats and 5 YEARS LATER in 2021, we get the sequel. However, I still attest to going abroad to somewhere like Europe or Asia or Africa would be unique and result in situations regarding local mystical events. Personally, London or Tokyo are great choices. Or why not a Cross Country Roadtrip comedy? I mean, them having to go across America and face different paranormal events would make for a great movie.
By Kingpin
GBPaulRivera wrote:I mean, them having to go across America and face different paranormal events would make for a great movie.
That sort of thing works better in a television series/miniseries (like Supernatural), or a comic series (like Haunted America) than a two or three hour movie, you wouldn't be able to squeeze in much from the various urban legends and folklore and going from city to city.
deadderek, GBPaulRivera liked this
By philmorgan81
Kingpin wrote:
GBPaulRivera wrote:I mean, them having to go across America and face different paranormal events would make for a great movie.
That sort of thing works better in a television series/miniseries (like Supernatural), or a comic series (like Haunted America) than a two or three hour movie, you wouldn't be able to squeeze in much from the various urban legends and folklore and going from city to city.
That is very true. That is the big thing that I hope will come out of Ecto Force. That is of course if they are still moving forward with that. I feel any future films should probably keep their focus in New York and just keep raising the stakes of world ending supernatural threats. A tv series is the best way to go if they want to leave New York and stick with smaller threats and explore different lore. :):):)
GBPaulRivera, Sav C liked this
By timeware
Speaking of the cartoons did anyone notice that Netflix is advertising The Real Ghostbusters with Slimer from Extreme Ghostbusters? You need to check out the kids category to find it. Thought this was an interesting mistake, and if it means were getting Extreme on Netflix soon!
GBPaulRivera liked this
By One time
I really hope there will be a sequel. I loved ATC. Admittedly, the theatrical release was not exceptionally great. But the extended version had me seriously laughing out loud. It was a different sort of humor than prime GB but it was still hilarious.

I'm hoping for something like the comic crossover. Imagine a sequal movie where there's like a dimensional crossrip. Where one or more of the original 1980's GB's gets stranded in 2018 and helps along with a bust. Or one of the girls gets stranded in 1984. So many comedic possibilities contrasting 2018 culture with the way things were in the 80's. Just imagine how scared Egon would be of Holtzmann!! "That woman terrifies me, Ray."
Or Venkman and Yates driving each other nuts! You can just mix and match scenario's between the 8 characters, they are so different and complementary.

It would also add weight and strengthen the 2016 movie I think. I hope Reitman is thinking along those lines for Ghost Corps or whatever it's called.
GBPaulRivera liked this
By philmorgan81
Now this vid was uploaded 4 months ago, but I enjoyed it. Around the 5 minute mark he briefly touches on the future of Ghostbusters. I know Dan Aykroyd talks about the franchise a lot, but I love that he states, "We have so many ideas, Ivan (Reitman) doesn't want me to talk about it, but we have three big ideas." Then he finishes about talking about the animated project. I was wondering if the 3 big ideas were The Animated Project, Ecto Force Series and Another Live Action Film. Who knows I just really dig that the gears are still turning on the future of the franchise despite ATC not being as profitable as the studio would have liked. :):):)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NhWDmo85C5g
Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
Mmmhh... I wonder why Reitman doesn't want Aykroyd to talk about future projects...

Maybe because he kept saying "Gb3 out next fall" even if they weren't close to start production?
By SpaceBallz
The other GB projects that were being talked about caused uproar because GB16 was still controversial. Channing Tatum wanted in on a GB project and opened his lips, that caused a shit storm and his agent had to squash it.

I don't blame them for wanting to keep things hush-hush, with the internet how it is today the public opinion could sway the studio from greenlighting anything.
Sav C liked this
By One time
SpaceBallz wrote: August 15th, 2018, 5:31 pm The other GB projects that were being talked about caused uproar because GB16 was still controversial. Channing Tatum wanted in on a GB project and opened his lips, that caused a shit storm and his agent had to squash it.

I don't blame them for wanting to keep things hush-hush, with the internet how it is today the public opinion could sway the studio from greenlighting anything.
All I remember about Tatum is that he couldn't even spell "Ghoustbusters!!" on his Twitter.
Sav C liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]